Forum Multiplayer Accessing player Id when using bounce server

Discussion and help relating to the PlayerIO Multiplayer API.

Accessing player Id when using bounce server

Postby wolfheat_flash » April 11th, 2010, 4:21 am

I though it would be a good thing to start with lerning to deal with the bounce-server. And then move on and build my own, but I seems to have run into som problems.

I have been looking through all documentation, but there is still some things I do not get the hang of.

To start with, when using bounce server, is there a way to know what player sent a message, or does it have to be sent along with the message. And when using the code "PlayerIO.connect(" the UserName/ID is sent along, I guess to the server. Is there a way for other players to retrieve this ID from the server?

I want the players to get different IDs when they log in, The first to log in get 1, second 2, 3, 4 etc. Then send this information when something is happening. I have a turn-based game in mind.
wolfheat_flash

Re: Accessing player Id when using bounce server

Postby Oliver » April 12th, 2010, 5:57 pm

Hey,

The bounce server is not very advanced: We want to extend it such that it supports a wider range of use cases, but the entire team is busy with other stuff and it's a low priority since people can work around it by writing their own custom serverside code.

In fact, writing your own serverside code would be my recommendation for now, since you'll get exactly what you need, and you'll get it now :-)

- Oliver
Oliver
.IO

Postby wolfheat_flash » April 14th, 2010, 9:39 pm

Thanks for your respond.

Building my own server was actually what I did, however I still have problems understanding all C# code. It overrides some functions, and I guess it is code located on your IO-server. But I cant find documentation for what functions availible. As for running the Test servet I se that it is written to when using command "Console.writeline" but some information I cant find the source for. When a User joins, does the information come from the online IO server? I cant find this kind of information/documentation and it would make the progress of making the first games easier.

Thanks....

EDIT: Same question about the array Players, I cannot find where this is declared.
wolfheat_flash

Postby Oliver » April 16th, 2010, 8:42 am

But I cant find documentation for what functions availible.

Really? there is a lot of documentation available under the documentation link in the header.
We have the following documentation available:

general information about multiplayer: http://playerio.com/documentation/refer ... ltiplayer/

You can browse the available serverside methods here: http://playerio.com/documentation/refer ... ltiplayer/

For instance, here is a link to the players collection you asked about: http://playerio.com/documentation/refer ... me#Players

Also, you should have intellisense in Visual Studio, to make it easier to browse and find methods.

When a User joins, does the information come from the online IO server? I cant find this kind of information/documentation and it would make the progress of making the first games easier.

What information? Somethings come from the main Player.IO webservice while other comes from the client...

- Oliver
Oliver
.IO

Return to Multiplayer