Forum VB .Net Visual Basic is amazing

Visual Basic is amazing

Postby Cyclone103 » January 22nd, 2010, 1:59 am

Yeah, its pretty much my favorite language.

How can I use this for the serverside instead?
Cyclone103

Re: Visual Basic is amazing

Postby Oliver » January 24th, 2010, 9:25 pm

Should be as simple as setting up a VB.net project instead of the C# project in the serverside solution.

I'll try it out, and send you the results.Perhaps we'll add a VB.net solution as an example.
Oliver
.IO

Postby Cyclone103 » January 25th, 2010, 4:21 pm

I tried this with the Nonoba API ages ago, it gave me an error about making calls to Microsoft.VisualBasic, which is required to run the project. Since it checks for what dlls are included...maybe add that to the list of permitted dlls?

Its frustrating for me as a Visual Basic programmer to have to use C#...thanks oliver :P
Cyclone103

Postby Oliver » January 25th, 2010, 6:03 pm

Yea, i see that visual basic uses a helper assembly. I'll have to go over it and add the safe stuff to the whitelist.

Sometime during this week okay?

- Oliver
Oliver
.IO

Postby Cyclone103 » January 25th, 2010, 6:20 pm

Thanks much Oliver!

My programming will go much faster when it is in a language I am familiar with.
Cyclone103

Postby Oliver » January 27th, 2010, 9:55 am

Live feedback #1: Didn't have VB installed in visual studio. Setup won't boot from install discs. Installing VB.NET Express.
Oliver
.IO

Postby Oliver » January 27th, 2010, 9:56 am

Live feedback #2: Argh, haven't memorized VB syntax, need cheat sheet: http://aspalliance.com/625
Oliver
.IO

Postby Oliver » January 27th, 2010, 9:59 am

Live feedback #3: Really missing my VIM emulation from visual studio. VIEmu is the best!
Oliver
.IO

Postby Oliver » January 27th, 2010, 10:01 am

Live feedback #4: Compiled a game dll ( i think ) -- now... to test it!
Oliver
.IO

Postby Oliver » January 27th, 2010, 10:02 am

Live feedback #5: These are the issues the codescanner complains about.

Reference found to Microsoft.VisualBasic. You can only reference PlayerIO.GameLibrary.dll
MyVbGame.My.MyApplication..ctor(...) uses the non-allowed method: System.Void Microsoft.VisualBasic.ApplicationServices.ApplicationBase::.ctor()
MyVbGame.My.MyComputer..ctor(...) uses the non-allowed method: System.Void Microsoft.VisualBasic.Devices.Computer::.ctor()
MyVbGame.My.MyProject.m_ComputerObjectProvider is static -- Static fields are disallowed
MyVbGame.My.MyProject.m_AppObjectProvider is static -- Static fields are disallowed
MyVbGame.My.MyProject.m_UserObjectProvider is static -- Static fields are disallowed
MyVbGame.My.MyProject.m_MyWebServicesObjectProvider is static -- Static fields are disallowed
MyVbGame.My.MyProject..cctor() is static -- Static constructors are disallowed.
MyVbGame.My.MyProject.m_UserObjectProvider is of the non-allowed type: MyVbGame.My.MyProject/ThreadSafeObjectProvider`1<Microsoft.VisualBasic.ApplicationServices.User>
return type of MyVbGame.My.MyProject.get_User(...) is of the non-allowed type: Microsoft.VisualBasic.ApplicationServices.User
MyVbGame.My.MyProject.get_User(...) has varible of the non-allowed type: Microsoft.VisualBasic.ApplicationServices.User
MyVbGame.My.MyProject.get_User(...) uses the non-allowed method: T MyVbGame.My.MyProject/ThreadSafeObjectProvider`1<Microsoft.VisualBasic.ApplicationServices.User>::get_GetInstance()
MyVbGame.My.MyProject..cctor(...) uses the non-allowed method: System.Void MyVbGame.My.MyProject/ThreadSafeObjectProvider`1<Microsoft.VisualBasic.ApplicationServices.User>::.ctor()
MyVbGame.My.MyProject/MyWebServices.Create__Instance__(...) uses the non-allowed method: !!0 System.Activator::CreateInstance<T>()
MyVbGame.My.MyProject/MyWebServices.Dispose__Instance__(...) has argument/parameter of the non-allowed type: T&
MyVbGame.My.MyProject/ThreadSafeObjectProvider`1.m_Context is of the non-allowed type: Microsoft.VisualBasic.MyServices.Internal.ContextValue`1<T>
MyVbGame.My.MyProject/ThreadSafeObjectProvider`1.get_GetInstance(...) uses the non-allowed method: !0 Microsoft.VisualBasic.MyServices.Internal.ContextValue`1<T>::get_Value()
MyVbGame.My.MyProject/ThreadSafeObjectProvider`1.get_GetInstance(...) uses the non-allowed method: !!0 System.Activator::CreateInstance<T>()
MyVbGame.My.MyProject/ThreadSafeObjectProvider`1.get_GetInstance(...) uses the non-allowed method: System.Void Microsoft.VisualBasic.MyServices.Internal.ContextValue`1<T>::set_Value(!0)
MyVbGame.My.MyProject/ThreadSafeObjectProvider`1..ctor(...) uses the non-allowed method: System.Void Microsoft.VisualBasic.MyServices.Internal.ContextValue`1<T>::.ctor()
MyVbGame.My.Resources.Resources.resourceMan is static -- Static fields are disallowed
MyVbGame.My.Resources.Resources.resourceCulture is static -- Static fields are disallowed
MyVbGame.My.Resources.Resources.resourceMan is of the non-allowed type: System.Resources.ResourceManager
MyVbGame.My.Resources.Resources.resourceCulture is of the non-allowed type: System.Globalization.CultureInfo
return type of MyVbGame.My.Resources.Resources.get_ResourceManager(...) is of the non-allowed type: System.Resources.ResourceManager
MyVbGame.My.Resources.Resources.get_ResourceManager(...) has varible of the non-allowed type: System.Resources.ResourceManager
MyVbGame.My.Resources.Resources.get_ResourceManager(...) has varible of the non-allowed type: System.Resources.ResourceManager
MyVbGame.My.Resources.Resources.get_ResourceManager(...) uses the non-allowed method: System.Void System.Resources.ResourceManager::.ctor(System.String,System.Reflection.Assembly)
return type of MyVbGame.My.Resources.Resources.get_Culture(...) is of the non-allowed type: System.Globalization.CultureInfo
MyVbGame.My.Resources.Resources.get_Culture(...) has varible of the non-allowed type: System.Globalization.CultureInfo
MyVbGame.My.Resources.Resources.set_Culture(...) has argument/parameter of the non-allowed type: System.Globalization.CultureInfo
MyVbGame.My.MySettings.defaultInstance is static -- Static fields are disallowed
MyVbGame.My.MySettings..cctor() is static -- Static constructors are disallowed.
MyVbGame.My.MySettings..cctor(...) uses the non-allowed method: System.Configuration.SettingsBase System.Configuration.SettingsBase::Synchronized(System.Configuration.SettingsBase)
MyVbGame.My.MySettings..ctor(...) uses the non-allowed method: System.Void System.Configuration.ApplicationSettingsBase::.ctor()
Oliver
.IO

Postby Oliver » January 27th, 2010, 10:18 am

Live update #6: The built in My object of VB.net does a bunch of stuff which we don't allow in our server cluster. Current approach is to strip it out.
Oliver
.IO

Postby Oliver » January 27th, 2010, 10:45 am

Live update #7: Got a vb dll running; now, to cleanup the mess i've made ;)
Oliver
.IO

Postby Oliver » January 27th, 2010, 12:39 pm

Last update. Got derailed by something else.

Anyways: I just tested that vb games are now loaded both by the dev server and the production server.

The issue with vb games, is that VB.NET compiles special classes into the assembly (My) which
- Uses a bunch of stuff we don't allow on our server cluster
- References the Microsoft.VisualBasic assembly.

The solution we choose was to remove the My.* classes and the reference from the assembly, so it looks like any other .net assembly and only contains valid code for our server cluster.

In essence: You can make VB.NET games, just don't use the My classes or anything in the Microsoft.VisualBasic assembly.

We haven't build any extensive test games in VB, so i'm hoping to get some feedback from you about whether everything works...

This will go out in the next release, most likely on friday.
Oliver
.IO

Postby Benjaminsen » January 27th, 2010, 12:40 pm

Amazing updates - just like being there!
Benjaminsen
.IO

Postby Oliver » January 27th, 2010, 12:40 pm

Chris! GET TO WORK!
Oliver
.IO

Postby Benjaminsen » January 27th, 2010, 12:42 pm

Ohh but I am, practicing my mad PowerPoint skills!
Benjaminsen
.IO

Postby Cyclone103 » January 28th, 2010, 4:36 am

My.Settings ought to be allowed, I've used that for local databases personally.

Thanks for doing this Oliver, you get a cookie or two.

Seriously, I'm considering mailing you a cookie.
Cyclone103

Postby Tsuken » January 28th, 2010, 6:13 am

hahaha

I was seriously considering to quote the last 3 posts :lol:

Oliver wrote:Chris! GET TO WORK!

Chris wrote:Ohh but I am, practicing my mad PowerPoint skills!

Cyclone103 wrote:Seriously, I'm considering mailing you a cookie.

Couldn't resist. Sue me :D
Tsuken

Postby Oliver » January 28th, 2010, 12:30 pm

Re: My.Settings:

Why? You don't have access to any app.config or other special configuration files for your game assembly. You have to compile settings into the game assembly.
Oliver
.IO

Postby Cyclone103 » January 28th, 2010, 9:28 pm

Okay, makes sense.

Will this be integrated for the Nonoba API as well eventually?
Cyclone103

Postby Oliver » January 29th, 2010, 9:38 am

Re: Integrating into Nonoba API: I don't think so; the code scanning used in nonoba is a different beast, and it's harder there to just change stuff in the code at runtime.
Oliver
.IO

Postby Cyclone103 » January 29th, 2010, 8:35 pm

Darn.

Well, I guess at this point it doesn't matter as the new API basically does all that the Nonoba API did and more.
Cyclone103

Postby Oliver » February 2nd, 2010, 5:09 pm

Quick update -- I'm aware that the release didn't go out last Friday, we had some issues during testing that we're working out before we send it out. Very soon now.
Oliver
.IO

Postby Cyclone103 » February 2nd, 2010, 8:53 pm

Okay, please post here and let me know so I can get started :D
Cyclone103

Postby Oliver » February 4th, 2010, 4:02 pm

Pssst... have a look at the newly released version 1.0.3

Release notes for 1.0.3
Oliver
.IO

Postby Cyclone103 » February 4th, 2010, 9:21 pm

Downloading and preparing for my game, what kind of cookies do you like? Chocolate chip?
Cyclone103

Postby Toby » February 4th, 2010, 9:35 pm

Cyanide. Together we can take over. ;)
Toby

Postby Cyclone103 » February 4th, 2010, 10:09 pm

Okay Toby, I'll send you some cyanide cookies.
Cyclone103

Postby Tsuken » February 5th, 2010, 3:07 am

yum chocolate chip cookies.

What game are you making Cyclone? Or is it still a secret? :)
Tsuken

Postby Cyclone103 » February 5th, 2010, 4:07 am

Cyclone103

Next

Return to VB .Net