Forum Feedback Html5, Javascript?

Problem with the website? Confused about something? Or maybe you just have something you'd like to suggest. This is the place to do it.

Html5, Javascript?

Postby Chris018 » March 3rd, 2011, 6:02 am

I was just wondering if playerIO would ever be targeting Javascript? :)
Chris018

Re: Html5, Javascript?

Postby Henrik » March 5th, 2011, 12:11 pm

It's an idea we've been kicking around, we can definitely see the potential in it, and it's on the pile of features we want to add. Now we just need to find the time to do everything on the pile. :-)
Henrik
.IO

Postby CodeHeads » May 8th, 2011, 3:29 pm

Being able to use playerio for HTML5 games would be brilliant, is there any time frame for this to be implemented? The reason i ask is we are starting to build HTML5 games and we are working on a HTML5 social game which has some big companies interested, and we really want to use playerio services for this game and the others we have in the works, especially after what i saw in the talk at FGS this year and the chat i had afterwards as well. Would love to hear more about this and if you are going to do it and if so when? :)
CodeHeads

Postby Oliver » May 10th, 2011, 1:58 pm

Hi,

We don't have public roadmaps, so we can't tell you when or if it's going to happen.

- Oliver
Oliver
.IO

Postby MrBiscuits » August 27th, 2011, 6:11 pm

Any news on html5/Javascript hooks for the API? Is it likely to happen?
MrBiscuits

Postby Oliver » August 28th, 2011, 12:32 am

It's going to happen. Can't tell you when, sorry.

Best,
Oliver.
Oliver
.IO

Postby MrBiscuits » August 29th, 2011, 12:43 pm

Oliver wrote:It's going to happen. Can't tell you when, sorry.

Best,
Oliver.

Ok thanks.

Are we talking months, years or undecided at the moment?
MrBiscuits

Postby Oliver » August 29th, 2011, 10:31 pm

We don't disclose roadmaps or release dates because priorities change (and thus deadlines) and we don't want to be accountable for promises made that we can't keep. In the future is the best we can offer.

Oliver
Oliver
.IO

Postby NoisyPerlin » September 15th, 2011, 5:52 pm

I know you can't really go into details, but any info on the status of Javascript/HTML5 would be helpful. Microsoft just announced that it's not even supporting plugins in the Metro version of IE10 for Win8, which means no Flash and no Unity3D. Of course this is way in the future, but it certainly is worrying that Microsoft is essentially trying to phase out both of the technologies that Player.IO uses...
NoisyPerlin

Postby Oliver » September 20th, 2011, 2:24 pm

Metro supports .NET
Oliver
.IO

Postby NoisyPerlin » September 20th, 2011, 2:40 pm

Oliver wrote:Metro supports .NET

Yes, but the default version of IE10 in Metro does not support Flash or the Unity3D plugin, which are the only two kinds of games Player.io supports, aren't they? If so, does this affect your plans for HTML/javascript based support?
NoisyPerlin

Postby NPSF3000 » September 21st, 2011, 12:30 am

NoisyPerlin wrote:

Yes, but the default version of IE10 in Metro does not support Flash or the Unity3D plugin, which are the only two kinds of games Player.io supports, aren't they? If so, does this affect your plans for HTML/javascript based support?

Player.io also support unity standalone...
NPSF3000

Postby NoisyPerlin » September 21st, 2011, 12:35 am

NPSF3000 wrote:
NoisyPerlin wrote:

Player.io also support unity standalone...

It's great that it supports unity standalone. But one of Player.io and nonoba's strengths has traditionally been that it can do multiplayer browser games. Now in Win8, neither of the plugins are going to be supported in the default metro ie10 browser. Which means that if you want to make a multiplayer browser based game, it's suddenly a lot more important to know the status of player.io's support for non-plugin based things like html5 and javascript, since at least some of your users are going to have by default a browser that doesn't allow plugins.
NoisyPerlin

Postby NPSF3000 » September 21st, 2011, 12:37 am

NoisyPerlin wrote:
It's great that it supports unity standalone. But one of Player.io and nonoba's strengths has traditionally been that it can do multiplayer browser games. Now in Win8, neither of the plugins are going to be supported in the default metro ie10 browser. Which means that if you want to make a multiplayer browser based game, it's suddenly a lot more important to know the status of player.io's support for non-plugin based things like html5 and javascript, since at least some of your users are going to have by default a browser that doesn't allow plugins.

One of the current rumors/theories over on unity3D forums is that this will be done via an App system. Another is the potential for native code.
NPSF3000

Postby Ally » October 1st, 2011, 4:49 pm

I'd just like to say I'd be incredibly interested in a js api. The sooner the better!
Ally

Postby m4rvin » January 22nd, 2012, 8:02 pm

given that flash for mobile is dead or going to be, aren't you guys pushing for js api now?
c/c++? or at least open up/freeze the api already.

'private roadmap' -- sounds as though that you guys don't have a plan yet or still unsure of yourselves.
m4rvin

Postby NPSF3000 » January 23rd, 2012, 9:08 am

m4rvin wrote:'private roadmap' -- sounds as though that you guys don't have a plan yet or still unsure of yourselves.

Unity operates off a 'private roadmap' as well - and it's working out okay. Public road-maps either reduce flexibility or anger people when for x, y and z you can't fulfill it.
NPSF3000

Postby m4rvin » January 23rd, 2012, 10:45 am

i don't care about unity and their roadmap. i care about playerio.

it is a solution i chose because it's a turnkey solution.

but i have my own mobile roadmap as well which doesn't include flash or unity. ideally html5, java, c/c++, or objective c.

as a user/developer, i just want to know what's really planned and what's really not in playerio.

it "angers" me now that answers to requested features such as c/c++ api or html5 api, if possible are only vague statements like -"maybe in the future"
m4rvin

Postby jastec » June 10th, 2012, 9:50 pm

This would be a great addition. However, I don't understand why people think html5 is somehow replacing these existing technologies. Windows Metro Supports .NET C#. And Flash is very much alive on mobile. Its actually easier to develop for mobile. Take Adobe's Air and Phonegap builds, I can develop my application using flash and deploy to multiple devices using Adobe Air including IOS without the need to buy a Mac. I could right my code in HTML CSS and JavaScript and easily use Phonegap but I would still need to set up native sdks and build environments for each platform, or pay for Phonegap build. Standards in HTML5 are still rocky and supporting native device capabilities, i.e. accelerometer, vibration, in the browser still aren't there yet.

Plus Stage3D will make Flash a keeper for sometime now, and my current implementations of html5 have flash fallbacks.
I say kudos to Player.IO for supporting battle tested and proven technologies instead of jumping on the latest fad. End users don't care what you wrote your game in. They just want it to be fun.
jastec
Paid Member

Postby angelhdz12 » September 2nd, 2015, 7:19 pm

2015, html5 and javascript are the rule now. They are blocking Flash and AS3 apps. So, maybe is time to get the Javascript PlayerIO API available. This is really needed right now.
angelhdz12

Postby [GD]AlaaNasro » September 2nd, 2015, 7:22 pm

@Angel,liked the idea,indeed !
[GD]AlaaNasro

Postby Guillaume » September 3rd, 2015, 3:19 pm

Agreed
Guillaume

Postby ySandsOfTimey » September 15th, 2015, 1:32 am

Hi,

currently we are trying to get money from a local state institution and/or investors. Everybody is asking us which technology we want to use and since "flash" would be the no go answer, we decided to switch to .html5 in our current project (We are using now the great openfl/haxe technology).
I loved flash, but currently there is no option for us to use it, the decision for .html5 is an economical one for us.

Even with my bad english, you know what I want to say:

Do a .html5 javascript client

thanks

Lars
ySandsOfTimey
Paid Member

Postby angelhdz12 » November 17th, 2015, 7:16 am

Found a solution. socket.io ;)
angelhdz12

Postby Henrik » April 21st, 2017, 1:09 pm

Resurrecting a really old thread in case someone was subscribed to it:

Yes, there is now a JavaScript client library for PlayerIO!

https://playerio.com/news/12-playerio-j ... dk-in-beta
Henrik
.IO

Return to Feedback