Forum General standalone lobby in flash

Any issues or discussions relating to Flash development are welcome here.

standalone lobby in flash

Postby itsmylifesoham » August 5th, 2011, 12:55 am

I want to know whether I can create a standalone lobby in flex/actionscript without attaching itself to the games.Will I still be able to use playerio api for that?
Or is it mandatory that lobby.as has to be a part of all games?
itsmylifesoham

Re: standalone lobby in flash

Postby Henrik » August 5th, 2011, 6:34 am

You mean one lobby that's common for several games? That should be perfectly possible, just create it as a single "game" on Player.IO, and have players in the lobby connect to that game's multiplayer rooms to chat and match up, and when some players want to play a real game, just redirect them to or load the game flash, and give it the data needed to automatically log in and find each other, and have each real game as a game on Player.IO.
Henrik
.IO

Postby itsmylifesoham » August 5th, 2011, 7:57 am

Thanks Henrik for the info.

But I was thinking more like a lobby hosted in the .NET webserver which hosts my website content. I think this would give me more control over the lobby for publishing the games. Also I think I can add more graphics to the lobby without bloating up the game size.

The question is Can I create a lobby(in flash) like this, the one that is not hosted in playerio servers but still utilizing playerio features(rooms, chat etc), by utilising playerio as3 client and .NET client? Please let me know if my understanding is wrong.

Thanks
Jassim
itsmylifesoham

Postby Henrik » August 5th, 2011, 7:07 pm

It doesn't matter where your stuff is hosted, the hosting we provide through SiteBox and GameFS is mostly just a convenience.
Henrik
.IO

Postby itsmylifesoham » August 8th, 2011, 7:05 am

Hi Henrik,

Thanks for your reply.
What we needed was a common lobby for all the games that we would be hosting on our website. Our website has its own login system. When a person logs into our website we want then to get authenticated for all the games we have on our admin panel in playerIO.
Now referring to an earlier reply i got from benjaminsen on this post : quickconnect-f33/using-quick-connect-to-use-as-login-system-for-my-website-t1810

This is what i have gathered for implementing what we want :

We have to create a game called lets say lobby in our playerIO admin panel.
Lets say i have 5 real games hosted on my website for which 5 links are there in my homepage.
For each of these 5 games(game1 - game5) i will make a separate connection in my lobby>settings in admin panel each having its own shared secret and its own database. lets say the connection i created for game1 has the shared secret "game1567"
Now when a user authenticates himself on my website with lets say
username : abc
password : abc

and he clicks on game1 link in my home page, i open another asp.net page which loads my lobby game inside it. This asp page using flashVars, passes the followng parameters to the lobby game :

A. ConnectionID for the game1 connection created in the lobbygame having shared secret game1567
B. The hash generated by my webserver using the current user's ID (for my website) and the shared secret for game1
C. A connectionID for the separate game1 that i have created in playerIO admin panel lets say "game1connectID"

This way the lobby will be able to list all the rooms and players who had clicked on game1 in the home page.

Lets say i also have created game1 as a different game in my playerIO admin panel. This game1 has only one connection defined. This connection will have the same shared secret we used earlier "game1567"

Now in the lobbygame when someone chooses to play a game created by some other player , we openup a new URL passing the same hashcode and a connectionID specific to game1 "game1connectID" . This helps to authenticate the user towards game1. And now game1 will handle all its own messages.

Have I got this correct?

IF yes i have a few questions :

1. When i create different connections for each of the five games in the lobbygame i will be specifying a different database for each connection.
Now near to where i create a new database its written :
"You can isolate data from different usersbases, by using different game databases for different connections."

I would like to know if creating a new database creates a different BIGDB,PARTNERPAY,PAYVAULT etc etc for each game, i mean what exactly gets created different for the new connection than the other connections.

2. We wanted to use the globalpresenceserver written by chris which helps to get rid of the 45 user limitation per room.

option 1 : Will this code help me to have a central lobby , where in a online users panel i would be able to list all the users online though they are in different roomdis. Say currently there are 20 rooms open with 45 users in each , so using this presenceserver.as will i be able to show in my lobby game's client side code all the 900 users online and even they can ssend an "invitation" message between them?

Soham
itsmylifesoham

Return to General