Forum Games Looking for co-programmer with server/client experience

Discussion relating to game development with Flash

Looking for co-programmer with server/client experience

Postby bohdan » June 28th, 2011, 10:30 pm

Hi Player.IO users,

My name's Bo. I'm making a game for a startup, online language-learning company, and I'm looking for someone to help me code it, especially the online portion.

To clarify, I'm capable of programming the game logic myself, but I don't have a lot of experience with server/client programming, so I'm looking for a partner with that experience.

I don't need an expert, just someone who has made an online game or two.

The design of the game isn't finalized, so if you want to contribute to the design of the game too, I would love to work on it with you. It's an educational, language-learning game. But I'm intent on making it very fun, too. It won't just be a series of quizzes.

This is a commercial endeavor, so I'm going to pay my would-be partner. How much that would be, and what payment model we would use is totally negotiable.

The company is launching its website in late August. We'll need a playable, good-looking game by then. I plan on continuing playtesting/development past August.

If you have the time this summer, and some server/client programming, please respond or send me a pm!

Thanks,

Bo

PS - I made a thread in this forum a few days back about using Player.IO myself. But I've chosen to look for a partner with online experience because I want to ensure I have a high-quality game by the August deadline. By myself, I risk running into so many issues that I can't meet it.
bohdan

Re: Looking for co-programmer with server/client experience

Postby Oliver » July 2nd, 2011, 10:23 am

Hey,

Our studios department (http://studios.playerio.com/) might be able to help?

Best,
Oliver
Oliver
.IO

Postby bohdan » July 2nd, 2011, 10:46 am

Hi Oliver,

Thanks for the reply.

I talked to a few programmers more experienced than I, and decided that taking on the hurdles of learning to program with a partner, as well as the hurdles of learning Player.IO would be too much for me. So I'm going to program the game by myself.

However, I had the idea of hiring a more experienced programmer to mentor/consult with me throughout the development of the game, to make sure things go smoothly and I can meet my deadline. A person I could email with, ask questions of, talk about class structure/design, learn faster/cleaner ways to do things, etc. I would really love to have access to someone with more experience than me. I think I could learn a lot. Could an arrangement like that be made with someone in your Studios department?

I'm not sure if it'd be easier to do it officially with the Studios department, or just unofficially with a programmer there who has an extra hour or two per week and would like to make a little extra money. What do you think?

Bo
bohdan

Postby Oliver » July 2nd, 2011, 10:48 am

If you're just looking for an hour there or an hour here, why not just ask people here on the forum the specific questions you run into?

- Oliver
Oliver
.IO

Postby bohdan » July 3rd, 2011, 6:33 am

Hey Oliver,

That's a good idea. And I could probably almost get the same results. How I see it though, there are a few advantages to having one person I could work more personally with throughout the development. One, it would be easier to have in-depth conversations with this person. I'd talk to this person on Skype, so we could have in-depth discussions about the code, and I could ask all my questions right there, as they pop into my head, and really hash out the answer in that really complete way you can only do by talking to another person. Two, I figure that having a general knowledge of my game and how it works, and having worked with me throughout development, it would give this person some helpful insight into my challenges that people on the forums just wouldn't have.

Although, maybe I'm overestimating how difficult my challenges will be. Most of the questions I'll have could probably be answered without the need for a lengthy back-and-forth.

I'll try using the forums for a while and see how my progress goes. Thanks for the tip.
bohdan

Return to Games