Forum C# Physics Limits

Physics Limits

Postby Deathline » March 21st, 2017, 12:30 pm

Hey PIO Devs,

Anyone know is there any Physics Limits on CPU/Ram on PlayerIO?
When yes, are there differences on the Free Plan and Paid Plan?
How complexe i can make my NPC's without gettin any FPS Drops on the Server ?

When i am dev. a Chat, can i increase for this the Player/Room Limit without any Security Issues?

Is this 45 Players / Room Limitation coming from the CPU/Ram Limits or Bandwith ?

Thanks in advance.
Deathline

Re: Physics Limits

Postby robscherer123 » March 21st, 2017, 2:37 pm

I'm not sure what type of processor their servers are running, but I would say the physics and such shouldn't be a big problem, unless you have some really crazy powerful stuff going on. If you are running Visual Studio Community 2015, it shows you your CPU and ram usage of your development server. You can use that to help you optimize things.

I don't believe there are any major limitations as far as CPU limits for the free or paid plans. They do allow you to get private server clusters for $200 a month each, which is what I have. I am running three of them. It gives you a little more control and they enable you to see how much players are in each physical server, the CPU of each server, and the ram usage of each server, as well as a few other things. Just for reference, my game uses around 50% of a single PlayerIO private servers CPU power with about 400 players in it and 150 rooms running in it. You can essentially use as much CPU as you'd like on the non-private servers, but if your game is doing something insane and wrecking their CPUs, I would think someone from PlayerIO may contact you about optimizing it.

Yes you can increase the player limit and everything should be safe. My limit is currently around 60. I believe they've said this limit was put in place to encourage good online game design (or something like that). I think what this may mean, is it's probably not the best idea to jack that number up to several hundred, although I suppose it could be possible. I think it's best to figure out ways to split your game into multiple rooms vs cramming tons and tons of players into one.
Last edited by robscherer123 on March 21st, 2017, 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robscherer123
Paid Member

Postby Henrik » March 21st, 2017, 9:35 pm

Hey Deathline,

The main reason for the 45 players/room limit is to force you to create a game that can be distributed across many servers, instead of every player relying on a single server.

You can increase the limits on your dev server, and if you get a private cluster you can increase the limits live as well, but you're just pushing the problem in front of you, which is why we advise against it.
Henrik
.IO

Postby Henrik » March 21st, 2017, 9:36 pm

(And Robby's answer was pretty good for the rest of your questions. :-) )
Henrik
.IO

Postby Deathline » March 22nd, 2017, 10:38 am

Yep, thanks for ur Answer. Really helpful.
Deathline

Return to C#