Forum General Multiplayer connection not working on Unity with SDK 3.2.401

Any issues or discussions relating to Unity development are welcome here.

Multiplayer connection not working on Unity with SDK 3.2.401

Postby david.a.diaz@gmail.com » September 22nd, 2015, 5:20 pm

Hi,

I've updated the SDK to the current version (v3.2.401) and started having errors in both the editor and IOS when calling the CreateJoinRoom method:

Unity IOS (Unity 4.6.8, XCode 6.4)
(Filename: /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/iPhonePlayer-armv7-il2cppGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

System.NullReferenceException: A null value was found where an object instance was required.
at PlayerIOClient.Internal.identifier950.filterEndpoints (System.Collections.Generic.List`1 endpoints) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at PlayerIOClient.Internal.identifier950+identifier953.<CreateJoinRoom>b__6 (PlayerIOClient.Internal.identifier198 result) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at PlayerIOClient.Callback`1[T].Invoke (.T value) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at PlayerIOClient.Internal.identifier115+identifier824.<CreateJoinRoom>b__16 (PlayerIOClient.Internal.identifier198 returnValue) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at PlayerIOClient.Callback`1[T].Invoke (.T value) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at PlayerIOClient.Internal.identifier115+identifier815+identifier817[A,O,E].MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
UnityEngine.Debug:Internal_Log(Int32, String, Object)
UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
PlayerIOClient.Internal.identifier817:MoveNext()

(Filename: /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/iPhonePlayer-armv7-il2cppGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

Unity Editor (Unity 4.6.8)
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at PlayerIOClient.Internal.identifier950.filterEndpoints (System.Collections.Generic.List`1 endpoints) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at PlayerIOClient.Internal.identifier950+identifier953.<CreateJoinRoom>b__6 (PlayerIOClient.Internal.identifier198 result) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at PlayerIOClient.Internal.identifier115+identifier824.<CreateJoinRoom>b__16 (PlayerIOClient.Internal.identifier198 returnValue) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at PlayerIOClient.Internal.identifier115+identifier815+identifier817[PlayerIOClient.Internal.identifier115+identifier191,PlayerIOClient.Internal.identifier115+identifier198,PlayerIOClient.PlayerIOError].MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Can you guys help me out?
david.a.diaz@gmail.com

Re: Multiplayer connection not working on Unity with SDK 3.2

Postby Guillaume » September 22nd, 2015, 5:53 pm

I'm on the last version and everything work fine. And the fact it doesn't work in the editor either is very strange.
Are you using 4.6.8 or 4.6.8p2 ?

Does your code worked before ?
Guillaume

Postby david.a.diaz@gmail.com » September 22nd, 2015, 6:17 pm

Hey, Thanks 4 the response.

Yes, the code was working fine on the editor and partially in iOS with an older version of player io. The error started happening since the update. The exact version of Unity I have is 4.6.8f1.

The reason I updated was that the iOS app failed silently to connect to some rooms.
david.a.diaz@gmail.com

Postby Guillaume » September 22nd, 2015, 6:55 pm

I don't think that the connection failure is directly linked to iOS, but more to the PlayerIO backend that doesn't work well at every attempt, as i have this problematic on Unity Editor too.

My workaround is to do some other connection attempt in the client after a specific delay, in order to have a valid connection, of course, i flag my previous attempt somewhere, in order to disconnect something if for some reason, it work for the previous attempt a long time after.
Guillaume

Postby david.a.diaz@gmail.com » September 22nd, 2015, 7:19 pm

The problem is that I haven't been able to even connect with 3.2.401, with or without the dev server started the error shows up
david.a.diaz@gmail.com

Postby Guillaume » September 22nd, 2015, 8:04 pm

Have you tried to delete all PlayerIO files (folder), then re-import the Unity Package ?

Also, have you tried to debug, step by step, to know if something weird act ?
I mean, is your Client object null / not null, when trying to call CreateJoinRoom ? Are you sure that you have entered in your Success delegate (to retrieve your Client object) before ?

Are you using Authenticate or Connect (or something like that) ? I know there is too very similar method to authenticate.
Guillaume

Postby david.a.diaz@gmail.com » September 22nd, 2015, 9:07 pm

This is very strange. I failed to mention that since the update I had to stop using visual c# express 2010 and started using Visual Studio 2015 Community Edition because the compiler complaint that the player io libraries were compiled using .Net 4.5

After I reinstalled the whole unity package it didn't fail but wasn't able to get a connection because the development server was not started (the code retries every 2 seconds to get a connection without failing) but as soon as I started the dev server, the error happened:

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at PlayerIOClient.Internal.identifier115+identifier815+identifier817[PlayerIOClient.Internal.identifier115+identifier191,PlayerIOClient.Internal.identifier115+identifier198,PlayerIOClient.PlayerIOError].MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

The interesting part is that after I stopped the server, the exception kept happening.
david.a.diaz@gmail.com

Postby Guillaume » September 22nd, 2015, 9:31 pm

This happened on Dev Server or on the Client ?

I know there is some issue with PlayerIO Server Debug application with Visual Studio 2015, as Visual Studio 2015 Community Edition seem to do some internal optimisation that leverage warning with the compiled application.

Its maybe not related, but thats why i'm keeping working on Visual Studio 2012, as there is no known issue with PlayerIO Server side at the moment. I'm compiling with .Net 4.0.

Actually, if i take a look at my server, my DLL are compileds with .NET 4.0.
The TestServer App is compiled with .NET 4.5.

How do you declare your server endpoint in your code when trying to debug ?
Do you have this issue with the debug server if instead of setting a new endpoint, you try to switch the Server clusters on the admin panel in order to let your client connect to your dev server (If you can, of course).

Ultimately, do you have tested to disable any Stripping Level in Unity ? If you are on Strip BytesCode, try to set Disabled.
Also, try to set your game in .NET 2.0 instead of .NET 2.0 subset.

If everything work, try to determine wich of all theses options is causing this error.

Also, can you be sure that you have actually one and only one DLL version of your server, enabled on the admin dashboard ?
Actually, i don't have any issue with the last SDK version. I will maybe try tomorrow an iOS build, just to check.

If you need an older version of the SDK, tell me.
Guillaume

Postby david.a.diaz@gmail.com » September 23rd, 2015, 3:19 pm

Many thanks for the response, unfortunatelly, the error is still happening.

This happened on Dev Server or on the Client ?
- The error is being reported in the client when using the dev server, no errors are reported in visual studio or the server itself

Its maybe not related, but thats why i'm keeping working on Visual Studio 2012, as there is no known issue with PlayerIO Server side at the moment. I'm compiling with .Net 4.0.
- I uninstalled VS 2015 completely by restoring a recovery point and installed the VS2012 express

Actually, if i take a look at my server, my DLL are compileds with .NET 4.0.
The TestServer App is compiled with .NET 4.5.
- Tried combinations of 4.0 and 4.5 on both the game's code and the test server with no luck =(

How do you declare your server endpoint in your code when trying to debug ?
- client.Multiplayer.DevelopmentServer = new ServerEndpoint("192.168.1.5", 8084);

Do you have this issue with the debug server if instead of setting a new endpoint, you try to switch the Server clusters on the admin panel in order to let your client connect to your dev server (If you can, of course).
- Commented the development server set (//client.Multiplayer.DevelopmentServer = new ServerEndpoint("192.168.1.5", 8084);), disabled the Player.IO Main Cluster and enabled only my dev server, the error still persisted =(
- The game works fine if I upload the server code and run the game without the dev server. I need the dev server though for day by day development =(

Ultimately, do you have tested to disable any Stripping Level in Unity ? If you are on Strip BytesCode, try to set Disabled.
- Will try that as soon as the game in the editor works

Also, try to set your game in .NET 2.0 instead of .NET 2.0 subset.
- Tried it and the error is still happening =(

Also, can you be sure that you have actually one and only one DLL version of your server, enabled on the admin dashboard ?
- Made triple sure that only one version (the latest, properly updated) is active

I started seeing todat this message in monodevelop when compiling the game there:
Error Error: System.IO.FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly 'file:///E:\work\INSULIN\projects\TreasureMAC\trunk\src\UnityOSX\Assets\Plugins\PlayerIOUnity3DClient.dll' or one of its dependencies. Operation is not supported. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131515) (Error: System.IO.FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly 'file:///E:\work\INSULIN\projects\TreasureMAC\trunk\src\UnityOSX\Assets\Plugins\PlayerIOUnity3DClient.dll' or one of its dependencies. Operation is not supported. (Exception from HRESULT) (Assembly-UnityScript-Editor)

The game compiles and runs in Unity with the exception mentioned though the thread.
david.a.diaz@gmail.com

Postby david.a.diaz@gmail.com » September 23rd, 2015, 3:30 pm

Disregard the last error:

"I started seeing todat this message in monodevelop when compiling the game there:
Error Error: System.IO.FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly 'file:///E:\work\INSULIN\projects\TreasureMAC\trunk\src\UnityOSX\Assets\Plugins\PlayerIOUnity3DClient.dll' or one of its dependencies. Operation is not supported. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131515) (Error: System.IO.FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly 'file:///E:\work\INSULIN\projects\TreasureMAC\trunk\src\UnityOSX\Assets\Plugins\PlayerIOUnity3DClient.dll' or one of its dependencies. Operation is not supported. (Exception from HRESULT) (Assembly-UnityScript-Editor)

The game compiles and runs in Unity with the exception mentioned though the thread."

It was a meta that was not getting properly updated
david.a.diaz@gmail.com

Postby david.a.diaz@gmail.com » September 23rd, 2015, 3:37 pm

The problem seems to be in this file:

PlayerIOUnity3DClient.dll

If I revert it to the old version (Unfortunately I didn't take note of that version number) the game works fine in the editor but flawed* in IOS (even with the new server ans VS 2012). It is after I replace this file that the error appears:

* by flawed, the game fails silently to connect to the server on iOS
david.a.diaz@gmail.com

Postby Guillaume » September 23rd, 2015, 3:42 pm

Can you check that your Dev Server project folder has the Administrators authorisations in Windows, for Read/Write ?
Have you tried to totally disable the Windows firewall ?

If you think this error is related to the ServerSide dll, can you try to use an older SDK DLL only for the server side ?
Is your PlayerIO dll Local Copy, in Visual Studio, to false, or true ?

Do the example project (Mushroom thing) of PlayerIO with Unity Client and Dev server side, working by default ?

Have you an other computer in order to test your dev server ?
Additionnaly, if your dev server and Unity Editor is on the same machine, can you try to replace your LAN Ip to 127.0.0.1 instead ?
Guillaume

Postby david.a.diaz@gmail.com » September 24th, 2015, 1:10 pm

Thanks for the response, unfortunatelly the error persists.

"Can you check that your Dev Server project folder has the Administrators authorisations in Windows, for Read/Write ?"
- I checked and yes, it has read and write privileges

"Have you tried to totally disable the Windows firewall ?"
- Yes but the error still happens

"If you think this error is related to the ServerSide dll, can you try to use an older SDK DLL only for the server side ?"
- I think the error is client related. Nevertheless I replaced the server libraries only with my previous version (don't know the version number) and the error still persisted. The reason why I think the error is client related is because by reverting the client's PlayerIOUnity3DClient.dll file, the editor actually connected ok with the server*.

"Is your PlayerIO dll Local Copy, in Visual Studio, to false, or true ?"
- It's set to true in the client code and the test server projects, tried setting it to false on the client and true on the test server with the same error, also, tried to set it to false in both but the test server failed to run in that scenario.

"Do the example project (Mushroom thing) of PlayerIO with Unity Client and Dev server side, working by default ?"
- The Unity client of the mushroom project is not opening properly in Unity 4.6.8f1, the prefabs are unlinked and the script references in the game objects are lost. Nevertheless I started the server only and the ran my game but the error still exists (it didn't get to the point of complaining that the requested room doesn't exist; it failed with the same error).

"Have you an other computer in order to test your dev server ?"
- I installed VS2012 in another computer and coped the server code, the same error happened =(

"Additionnaly, if your dev server and Unity Editor is on the same machine, can you try to replace your LAN Ip to 127.0.0.1 instead ?"
- Did that, the same error happens

* with this old library, while the editor works fine, iOS fails silently to connect to the room sometimes.
david.a.diaz@gmail.com

Postby Guillaume » September 24th, 2015, 2:49 pm

Can you try to update your Unity installation to the last patched version:

Unity 4.6.8p2: https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/patch-releases
Or here directly: http://beta.unity3d.com/download/016818 ... .6.8p2.exe

Do you have any Anti-Virus software active ?
Guillaume

Postby david.a.diaz@gmail.com » September 24th, 2015, 3:37 pm

Hey, thanks again for the reply, unfortunatelly no luck =(

Can you try to update your Unity installation to the last patched version:
- Downloaded Unity 4.6.8p2 and tried it, the same error occurs

Do you have any Anti-Virus software active ?
- Nope I uninstalled it long ago =P
david.a.diaz@gmail.com

Postby Guillaume » September 24th, 2015, 5:01 pm

Have you tried to re-download the last SDK version of PlayerIO ?
Also, what is your Target iOS Version in Unity ? Mine is 7.0
Guillaume

Postby Henrik » September 24th, 2015, 6:35 pm

Have you set the client.Multiplayer.DevelopmentServer property?

What happens if you set the client.Multiplayer.GameServerEndpointFilter?

Code: Select all
client.Multiplayer.GameServerEndpointFilter = (l) => l;

What's the value of UnityEngine.Application.internetReachability in your app?
Henrik
.IO

Postby david.a.diaz@gmail.com » September 25th, 2015, 11:51 am

Hey, thanks again for the response, unfortuantelly no luck.

Guillaume:

Have you tried to re-download the last SDK version of PlayerIO ?
- Tried it without luck
Also, what is your Target iOS Version in Unity ? Mine is 7.0
- It's 6.0

Henrik:

Have you set the client.Multiplayer.DevelopmentServer property?
- Yes, to both 127.0.0.1 and 192.168.1.5 (the ip of the machine). If I revert to an old player io library the connection is established correctly (but it doesn't work properly in iOS, that's why I updated the libraries).
What happens if you set the client.Multiplayer.GameServerEndpointFilter?
- I set the callback to the following:
   private List<ServerEndpoint> GameServerEndpointFilterDelegate (List<ServerEndpoint> _endpoints)
   {
      return _endpoints;
   }

- But the exception was thrown before reaching that callback:

What's the value of UnityEngine.Application.internetReachability in your app?
- ReachableViaLocalAreaNetwork
david.a.diaz@gmail.com

Postby david.a.diaz@gmail.com » September 25th, 2015, 12:38 pm

I've made a very simple test project with the error.

The test was done with Unity 4.6.8f1 and 4.6.8p2, and Visual Studio 2012 Update 4 in Win 8.1

There's a Libraries folder with the old client libraries. These old libraries connect correctly in the editor but fail to connect properly on iOS, The new libraries fail to connect in both the editor and iOS.

Test project:

http://betacell3d.com/treasure/PIOTest.rar

Thanks in advance =D
david.a.diaz@gmail.com

Postby david.a.diaz@gmail.com » September 25th, 2015, 2:09 pm

I downloaded Unity 5.2.1f1 and converted the test project:

http://betacell3d.com/treasure/PIOTest5.rar

The same error occurs.
david.a.diaz@gmail.com

Postby Guillaume » September 25th, 2015, 2:39 pm

I have tested your project and i have the problem.
However i don't have any problem on my games.

Have you checked Multiplayer rights for SimpleConnect connexion (or public connection) ?
I will test more this evening
Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » September 25th, 2015, 11:48 pm

Have you checked that the connection type on your dashboard that you use for your SimpleUser connection have theses rights ticked ?:

- Create Multiplayer Room Is allowed to create multiplayer rooms
- Join Multiplayer Room Is allowed to join multiplayer rooms
- List Multiplayer Rooms Is allowed to list running multiplayer rooms
Guillaume

Postby david.a.diaz@gmail.com » September 26th, 2015, 4:36 pm

Hi, thanks again for all the help, unfortunately the error still happens.

I checked that simple users are using the public connection and that the public connection has the proper multiplayer rights. I saw however a warning in the Multiplayer>GameServers section of the dashboard:

The server is not publicly accessible on any ports.
Please open port 8184 in your firewall if you want to run live games on this server

Considering that:
* The windows firewall in my PC is disabled
* I'm testing locally (both the client and the server are on the same machine)
* The connection is correctly established with the old client dll

This shouldn't be an issue right?
david.a.diaz@gmail.com

Postby Guillaume » September 26th, 2015, 6:12 pm

This warning only apply if you need to connect via the Cluster.

However i have made some test with your test project and it doesn't work as you said. Very strange, because i'm using the same version of the SDK but i don't have any problems.

Do you have tried to authenticate via Connect or Authenticate Workflow, instead of using QuickConnect ?
Guillaume

Postby david.a.diaz@gmail.com » September 28th, 2015, 2:11 pm

Hello, Thanks for the response =D unfortunately no luck =(

I tried using Connect and Authenticate with the same error being shown. Can you share your player io server/client libraries with me to test with them?

Regards
david.a.diaz@gmail.com

Postby Guillaume » September 28th, 2015, 2:45 pm

When testing with your authentication, wich was stored by default on your development server (you may remove you source...), it was not working.

Then i authenticated with my own account with QuickConnect enable and everything worked. I think the problem is related to your account OR your account parameters.

Can you try to create a new Game Profile on your dashboard and test with the newly created ID ?
Guillaume

Postby david.a.diaz@gmail.com » September 29th, 2015, 11:52 am

Thanks again for the response, still no luck =(

what do you mean by:
"wich was stored by default on your development server (you may remove you source...)"

I created a new game with no luck, I then created a new account with a new game with the same error (both with quick connect enabled for simple users and the proper permissions for the 'public' connection). Was your successful test done against a local dev server running on Visual Studio 2012 express? I'm beginning to think that this error might be related to some checkbox in the configuration of Visual Studio.
david.a.diaz@gmail.com

Postby Guillaume » September 29th, 2015, 1:15 pm

When i launch the Debug on the Development Server, i see YOUR credentials on the top right of the project...You seem automatically logged on the source you provided, so be carefull.

My test has failed with Dev Server with Visual Studio 2012 Ultimate with YOUR credentials.

Then i clicked on Logout when in debug mode, and then logged with my own account, and of course i changed the gameId in the program by one on my dashboard.

Then it worked. So:

1. Try to logout on the debug windows, then login again by re-starting the debug, and see if the problem persist. Also, for your test with the new profile, be sure that you typed in the client the gameId of your newly created game profile but also that you LOGGED with the new account you may have created, your YGN credentials.

OR

2. Something is wrong on your dashboard, as it work with the default parameters for me. The only thing i done is to enable QuickConnect on my dashboard, and modified the IP adress on the dev server by 127.0.0.1.

OR

3. Something is broken on your account maybe...I don't know, only YGN team can know.

But be sure you are not mixing some gameId for your client, with an other account you use in debug mode, that don't have this gameId accessible.
Guillaume

Postby david.a.diaz@gmail.com » September 29th, 2015, 1:56 pm

Oh yes, I made sure to replace the game Id in the client when I tested the new project with my current account - and - to replace the game id in the client, logout from the dev server, re-run the server from VS 2012 and enter the credentials of the newly created account.

It's strange that the newly created account has this issue like my older account and that your account doesn't. I'll try reaching the YGN guys to see if they can give me a hint about what causes that exception so that I can make sens of all this.

Thanks again
david.a.diaz@gmail.com

Postby david.a.diaz@gmail.com » September 29th, 2015, 2:31 pm

Good news, I've downloaded the latest SDK (3.2.409 from Sep 28) and it worked. The bad news is that the silent failure when connecting to a room still exists. I'll investigate further and open a new thread for this problem if necessary.

Many thanks for all the help!!!
david.a.diaz@gmail.com

Next

Return to General