Forum BigDB [Feature request] Please add BigDB 'lock' security option

Discussion and help relating to the PlayerIO database solution, BigDB.

[Feature request] Please add BigDB 'lock' security option

Postby unboundedgames » February 15th, 2015, 8:06 am

Having just noticed that removing an index gives a warning asking if I am absolutely sure I want to delete the index, it made me remember that in testing a while back I noticed deleting an entire database table didn't ask for anything, no password confirmation, no time-delay, no anything; it was gone instantly. I think considering the type of catastrophe this can cause for certain implementations it would be prudent to have an option for developers to 'lock' a database table - flagging it for various security measures such as:

-ask for confirmation before flagging for deletion
-require password before proceeding
-delay a specified amount of time (days+) before the actual deletion takes place, with option for cancel anytime before.

3rd option being the most important, I'm sure anyone from YGN/IO can imagine the scenarios this would mitigate or prevent. :ugeek:
I say this be an option because in testing/learning some developers may prefer the fast and easy approach (but even then I think a simple confirmation is needed)

Please consider this as a security feature,
and thanks for reading.
unboundedgames
Paid Member

Re: [Feature request] Please add BigDB 'lock' security optio

Postby codgamer101 » February 16th, 2015, 6:52 pm

they wont add this its a gay feture just think wat ur saying some ppl delete indexes to make new ones why would u make it so it takes days for it to delete i my self messs up typeing in indexes and need to delete them this feature i say is very dumb
codgamer101

Postby robertflesch » February 16th, 2015, 7:28 pm

codgamer101 did you actually read the whole post?

unboundedgames suggestion was make sure there is an intermediate confirmation screen before you delete your whole database.
I know that accidentally deleting my whole database would be catastrophic. And now I really need to get started on a better way to back up my data.
As for it being a gay feature, you are a few years behind the times. The only people who worry about being gay these days are fifteen year old boys who are not sure of their sexuality yet. Everywhere else here in the states its Ok to be gay. Well, maybe not Alabama....
robertflesch
Paid Member

Postby codgamer101 » February 17th, 2015, 5:05 am

this is not going to ever happen 1 this player.io is secure enogh if u delete ur whole database thats ur fault ur the dumb ass not us why should they do more work for u being dumb or even u giving out ur info
codgamer101

Postby robertflesch » February 17th, 2015, 5:36 am

I will agree with you that it is most likely not going to happen for a while at best. Its just good design practice to protect people from making catastrophic mistakes. Just image a cat jumping up on your desk and landing on your finger at you mouse overs over the delete button. Shit happens. I am sure you are young and have never made a mistake, I am old and have made lots of mistakes, but I try not to make them twice. And I try to protect myself against making the really bad ones ever...
robertflesch
Paid Member

Postby unboundedgames » February 17th, 2015, 6:35 am

unboundedgames wrote:"[...] I'm sure anyone from YGN/IO can imagine the scenarios this would mitigate or prevent [...]"

Notice this doesn't include children. :twisted:

The optional time-delay is for security breaches / un-authorized access through session hijacking etc.
Ideally this would be a toggle, not a default.
unboundedgames
Paid Member

Postby codgamer101 » February 17th, 2015, 7:19 am

still i dont see this happening player.io is dying very slowly but its dying there not really updating with new things if they update its just dumb things that ppl wont use
codgamer101

Postby Henrik » February 17th, 2015, 6:02 pm

There is already a time delay before table data is actually deleted, and we can undelete tables if you make a boo-boo.
Henrik
.IO

Postby unboundedgames » February 18th, 2015, 3:21 am

Always one step ahead of me :)
Thanks Henrik
unboundedgames
Paid Member

Postby Guillaume » February 21st, 2015, 1:19 am

Must we praise the god when this happen Henrik ? :lol: ...I mean, must we beg by mail or by forum ?
I have to admit that i have once truncated my Payvault table instead of exporting it...My gosh ! It was aweful !
Guillaume

Postby JimLion » March 9th, 2015, 8:47 pm

Good to know that Henrik has a solution for this. :)
Now I kind of want to click the "delete table" button just to see what happens...
JimLion

Return to BigDB