Forum GameFS Tiny Loader is not Swf

Discussion and help relating to the PlayerIO game asset hosting and CDN solution, GameFS.

Tiny Loader is not Swf

Postby JimLion » October 6th, 2014, 7:56 pm

The tiny loader seems good in theory - distribute one swf and have it always load your main game from GamesFS. However, the download that you get from tinyloader is not a swf. It is just a regular file with no extension so I am not sure wtf I am supposed to do with this file. Please help.
JimLion

Re: Tiny Loader is not Swf

Postby AquamentosGames » October 10th, 2014, 8:10 pm

If it has no extension, try adding .swf to the end of it and see if it works. It may actually be a .swf but without an extention tag for the computer to know that.

Caveat - I don't use Flash any more so I don't know if this would work, it's just the first thing I'd try in this situation.

EDIT: I just looked at the GameFS docs for a completely unrelated matter and happened to see the info that says that the Tiny Loader is supposed to be a .swf. This confirms for me that it's probably encoded correctly, just lacks the extension. Adding the extension is very likely to solve the issue. Just add .swf to the end of the filename and it should just work.
AquamentosGames

Postby JimLion » October 10th, 2014, 8:21 pm

Yep, that works. Kind of annoying though (and frustrating at first) that I have to do that.
JimLion

Postby AquamentosGames » October 11th, 2014, 7:06 pm

I believe it. I don't know why maybe someone will read this and fix it. I guess they figure that game developers are tech saavy enough to know how to correct it.

It may be that many browsers will try to run the swf if it has the extension so they leave it off otherwise you'd have to jump through hoops to download it. I can see that being an issue. Adding .swf to the end is easier than the hoops you have to jump through to download a .swf other than the browser playing it.
AquamentosGames

Postby JimLion » October 11th, 2014, 8:05 pm

That's a good point, but it seems like it only happens on some swf's and not others. I am on a mac by the way also.
JimLion

Postby JimLion » October 11th, 2014, 8:09 pm

Also, how is the Tiny Loader download link generating the name of the file? I keep getting files with unexpectedly weird names.
JimLion

Postby fredaskew » June 28th, 2016, 10:53 am

Yeah I agree !! That it happens only with swf's.
fredaskew

Return to GameFS