Forum ActionScript 3.0 Using Amethyst to compile examples

Problems and discussions relating to ActionScript 3.0 here.

Using Amethyst to compile examples

Postby wildbunny » March 10th, 2011, 11:43 am

Hi there,

I'm new to flash, but long time console c++ and silverlight programmer... Because i'm so used to the visual studio environment i've been using Amethyst to try and make the transition from silverlight to flash less painfull...

Of course, this means getting the example player.io projects to compile correctly in a different environment...

I'm having trouble with FridgeMagnets - particularly Letter.as - its constantly complaining about 'Access of undefined property letter' throughout that file; and looking there, its never defined at all.

Furthermore, i'm looking at the example code and noticing a total lack of semi-colons on the end of lines some of code? Whats going on here? :)

Cheers, Paul.
wildbunny

Re: Using Amethyst to compile examples

Postby HAnz » March 10th, 2011, 1:37 pm

The "letter" that is not defined in Letter.as is referring to the textField called "letter" inside the Letter movieclip in the FridgeMagnets.fla. I'm pretty sure of that anyways.

And if you don't use a semicolon in flash the compiler will treat each line as a statement. You don't have to use semicolons but I always do anyways. :)
It's a heritage from when actionscript was less of a real programming language.
I make games and stuff.
HAnz

Postby wildbunny » March 10th, 2011, 1:52 pm

Ahhh, ok - so does letter refer to some resources which were created in the flash editor?

Yikes about the semi-colons :)
wildbunny

Postby HAnz » March 10th, 2011, 1:58 pm

Yeah it does, you will need the .fla to compile the example or you have to recreate it with pure code, though I can't help you there. :)
I make games and stuff.
HAnz

Postby wildbunny » March 10th, 2011, 2:14 pm

Ok, thanks for your help :)

Guess i have to find a way to extract the stuff i need from the .fla given i don't have the flash ide! :)
wildbunny

Return to ActionScript 3.0