Forum QuickConnect Feature Request: email validation

Discussion and help relating to PlayerIO's QuickConnect feature, including Facebook Connect and Kongregate Connect.

Feature Request: email validation

Postby HAnz » March 4th, 2011, 7:10 pm

I was a bit surprised to find that you didn't have an option for this already since you check if an email address is already registered for the game.

Anyways, to have this option would solve a lot of problems especially with bad users who can now just create a new account in a few seconds using any email address with the correct syntax.

And it's good to have a users real email if you wan't to contact them for offers/issues/information.

I don't think it would be too hard for you to create this since you already have a system for password resets. Hopefully you can add this feature pretty soon.
I make games and stuff.
HAnz

Re: Feature Request: email validation

Postby Henrik » March 5th, 2011, 12:05 pm

Well, considering that it's really easy to create email addresses, you don't really stop anyone with email validation, you just slow them down a bit.

But it's an interesting feature request, it could be useful. We'll look into it.
Henrik
.IO

Postby bighugejason » March 8th, 2011, 6:05 pm

I'll second the desire for this feature. It isn't just about avoiding the spamming of accounts; it's also to provide some assurance that you own the account you say you do (and therefore aren't keeping someone from using their own email) and that you entered it correctly.

I think this would be simple enough to implement on my own within the PlayerObject if I were able to run a PHP script or some such against the BigDB. As it is, I think I'll need to host a server somewhere to accept the validations and then either query that server or run an update to the BigDB as users login to Player.IO.
bighugejason

Postby Oliver » March 14th, 2011, 5:11 pm

You can use the CAPTCHA feature to ensure only humans register in your game.
Oliver
.IO

Postby WindieGames » March 30th, 2011, 2:49 am

I agree with Jason. On two seperate occasions I've tried using my e-mail to register for games I'd never played before and someone had used my e-mail address. Obviously not a serious security issue, but it is kind of annoying to have to create a dummy account just so I can register for something. :)
WindieGames

Postby groomi » August 26th, 2013, 5:22 pm

BUMP

Came across a situation today where this would have been very useful.

about 20 new accounts dumping points to someone by registering, losing their initial balance and then registering again.
groomi
Paid Member

Postby SmallJoker » September 4th, 2013, 3:24 pm

groomi wrote:BUMP

Came across a situation today where this would have been very useful.

about 20 new accounts dumping points to someone by registering, losing their initial balance and then registering again.

make so they need to "pay for register" or something like earning system, so the accounts get worth and using their original would be better than creating a 2nd acc.
SmallJoker

Postby Thronin » January 29th, 2014, 9:20 pm

I agree that this needs to be implemented. I was surprised and disheartened to find that it wasn't already a live feature.
Thronin

Return to QuickConnect