Forum PayVault how can I handle double currency?

Discussion and help relating to the PlayerIO payment solution, PayVault.

how can I handle double currency?

Postby sebas77 » June 26th, 2013, 5:49 pm

Hi,

in our game we got 2 currencies. Real money is needed to buy just one of the 2 currencies. Both currencies can be used to buy the same items. My intention is to secure with the PayVault all the transactions that happen when both currencies are used. Is this possible?
sebas77
Paid Member

Re: how can I handle double currency?

Postby Henrik » June 28th, 2013, 9:22 am

We're sorry, but PayVault only supports a single virtual currency.

Your other currency you have to keep track of yourself, using BigDB, and server-side code to keep it safe.

How will people earn the second currency?
Henrik
.IO

Postby sebas77 » June 28th, 2013, 11:17 am

our game is still in early alpha, so the process can change over the time, but currently the one of the two virtual currencies can be earn in game while playing and, for the time being, the client is authoritative in this sense. This means that we need at least an extra layer of security through web services.
One thing I did not get yet is if player.io can host these services.
sebas77
Paid Member

Postby Henrik » June 28th, 2013, 1:59 pm

sebas77 wrote:our game is still in early alpha, so the process can change over the time, but currently the one of the two virtual currencies can be earn in game while playing and, for the time being, the client is authoritative in this sense. This means that we need at least an extra layer of security through web services.
One thing I did not get yet is if player.io can host these services.

We have the multiplayer server that offers something called service-rooms. It's a simple way of having all your users connected to a room, any room, and then you can run server-side validation code through that.

So for your earned currency example, you would have the game client send a message to the service-room asking to add X amount of currency. Your server-side code will receive that request, validate it (is this a reasonable amount at a reasonable rate, or is the user trying to hack it?), and update the user's PlayerObject in BigDB with the new number, and finally send the new number back to the client.
Henrik
.IO

Postby sebas77 » June 28th, 2013, 2:17 pm

good to hear, I have then a couple of more technical questions:

which protocol do you use for this kind of connection?
do you advice to keep the users permanently connected for this kind of check? (honestly it would be all right for our current purposes anyway)
sebas77
Paid Member

Postby Henrik » June 28th, 2013, 3:24 pm

sebas77 wrote:which protocol do you use for this kind of connection?
do you advice to keep the users permanently connected for this kind of check? (honestly it would be all right for our current purposes anyway)

TCP and yes.
Henrik
.IO

Postby sebas77 » June 28th, 2013, 3:35 pm

TCP through sockets right?

I have still another question: since with "real money" the users can buy just one of our 2 currencies, does it mean that we can just store the currency value in the payvault? Initially I was thinking to store the items bought, but all the items can be bought with both currencies.
sebas77
Paid Member

Postby csharporbflat » November 15th, 2013, 11:12 pm

Hi, I am doing something similar, And would be interested to know how you are approaching this.

Basically I have 2 types of items in the game, regular items, and premium items, premium items are purchased for real money, and regular items can be purchased for currency that is earned by playing the game.

Does the Payvault allow you to add items of 2 different in game currency types, and have them all loaded to the same storefront within the game.

I know it is possible to do it with FB, so it should work on this site too.
csharporbflat

Return to PayVault