Forum QuickConnect facebook app confusion..

Discussion and help relating to PlayerIO's QuickConnect feature, including Facebook Connect and Kongregate Connect.

facebook app confusion..

Postby jgold » November 27th, 2012, 2:25 am

So i have just integrated a Facebook Oauth login in my game and planned on using the same accounts and all for a facebook app when when i get around to it. After looking into the facebook policies it seems they have changed things to stop people from doing this.

I. Features and Functionality
http://developers.facebook.com/policy/

13 b. Games on Facebook.com and mobile must not share the same app ID with desktop web games off of Facebook.com. You must not use Canvas apps to promote or link to game sites off of Facebook, and must not use emails obtained from us to promote or link to desktop web games off of Facebook.com (effective December 5, 2012).

So does this mean if I wish to make a facebook app, that is that lives on facebook it has to be a seperate Player.IO app? This causes issues with Item purchases and accounts, etc. Is there any other possible solution to this that I am missing?
jgold
Paid Member

Re: facebook app confusion..

Postby dreamora » November 27th, 2012, 2:34 am

I don't see how the two things are related. This policy change is about 'cross advertisement' or more likely even 'unrelated advertisement and spam' through any other channel than paid promotions through FB itself.
dreamora

Postby jgold » November 27th, 2012, 2:48 am

well it specifically says that a facebook game on facebook... and a web game off facebook cant share the same app id. Thats the key thing.
jgold
Paid Member

Postby Benjaminsen » November 27th, 2012, 12:39 pm

Well, that's one horrible paragraph. You are absolutely correct, this policy effectively prevents you from running the same user-base on and off Facebook. In other words it makes it very hard to make a game that allows both Facebook connect off site and have a Facebook application, as these two applications are not allowed to be connected.

When that is said SiteBox actually allows you to run multiple Facebook applications under the same GameID, thus you can still share BigDB, PayVault etc across multiple games. However this could be against Facebook policy as it would enable a user to buy items without Facebook Credits off of Facebook, if you have a PayPal integration for your Facebook Connect enabled web version.
Benjaminsen
.IO

Postby jgold » November 27th, 2012, 8:01 pm

Yeah, I guess it depends on how strictly they enforce it. Definitely have to make only Facebook coin payments visible on the facebook portal though.
jgold
Paid Member

Postby jgold » November 27th, 2012, 8:11 pm

If it came to them blocking such apps. Perhaps it would be possible to link multiple facebook app ids somehowm then having a paramater to select them in the quickConnect calls. Anyways, just a thought lol.
jgold
Paid Member

Postby jgold » February 27th, 2013, 11:46 pm

I was reading further about this issue as I am close to finishing the game I am working on and I am concerned.. found this post http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1359 ... out-my-app in which some guy was saying his app was to be banned if he didn't comply.

So my question is would it be wise to remove facebook connect from my game all together when off-site of facebook? Otherwise is there anyway to bridge the two app ids to share the same player.io data and user-base? Having to have two user-bases would really suck and be really confusing to facebook users who already created accounts.

EDIT: to add a bit more detail to this I was planning to use Sitebox to implement the facebook app after I knocked off the standalone web app that features facebook connect for user registration.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
jgold
Paid Member

Postby Benjaminsen » February 28th, 2013, 6:28 pm

jgold wrote:I was reading further about this issue as I am close to finishing the game I am working on and I am concerned.. found this post http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1359 ... out-my-app in which some guy was saying his app was to be banned if he didn't comply.

So my question is would it be wise to remove facebook connect from my game all together when off-site of facebook? Otherwise is there anyway to bridge the two app ids to share the same player.io data and user-base? Having to have two user-bases would really suck and be really confusing to facebook users who already created accounts.

EDIT: to add a bit more detail to this I was planning to use Sitebox to implement the facebook app after I knocked off the standalone web app that features facebook connect for user registration.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Yes do not allow Facebook login outside of Facebook on the web. They enforce this policy like mad men (Source my own game Everybody Edits being shut off until I complied)
Benjaminsen
.IO

Postby Benjaminsen » February 28th, 2013, 6:29 pm

Ninja add,

You can have Facebook and non Facebook users in the same game. You just can't allow FB users to login outside of Facebook.
Benjaminsen
.IO

Postby jgold » February 28th, 2013, 6:35 pm

Ok that is about what I was thinking as well. It is nice to hear from someone with experience on the issue though. Saddens me, but I guess I will just remove the facebook connect until the facebook app version is ready.

thanks man.
jgold
Paid Member

Return to QuickConnect