Forum Games Getting started on Unity & Mac

Discussion relating to game development with Unity

Getting started on Unity & Mac

Postby Firebrand » February 21st, 2013, 12:12 am

I'm literally just starting with playerIO and have downloaded the PlayerIO development package. Aim is to add multi-player turn based functionality to replace my GameCenter code (need cross platform now). While i've read the Docs and BigDB and Multiplayer Classes seem straightforward, I want to avoid any major mistakes in simply getting going.

I'm assuming that the all the Client side code is easily run in any Unity project so long as PlayerIOClient is imported into Unity as an Asset. (contains the PlayerIOUnity3DClient files). That seems simple enough.
However, the Server side: Since I think it has to be built using Visual Studio am I correct in assuming I will either have to;
(a) Get a PC to Build the ServerSide code
or
(b) run some of the Mac Virtual PC Software and then follow (a)

Can Monodevelop be used in any way or does it have to be Visual Studio (C# edition)?

It would be good to get a clear list for Starting up player.IO for Unity (as opposed to Flash), particuarly any peculiarities of being on a Mac (because I'm creating an iOS product 1st and android secondly)

Cheers, Stuart
Firebrand

Re: Getting started on Unity & Mac

Postby Benjaminsen » February 21st, 2013, 9:43 am

Mono-develop can be used but have known to be problematic to work with due to mono sometimes not correctly closing connections when sockets are used the way we use them.

By far the best working way for a Mac developer is to run a windows VM with Visual Studio Express.
Benjaminsen
.IO

Postby Firebrand » February 21st, 2013, 5:33 pm

Thanks for the fast reply. It's appreciated.

I did try Mono (the one that comes with Unity) with a simple setup and it seemed to work, but I think it will be worth the effort of setting up a virtual PC and visual studio Express.

Stuart
Firebrand

Postby TokyoDan » May 16th, 2013, 6:11 am

I'm developing with Unity on OSX. How did you get it setup in Mono on a Mac?

Firebrand wrote:Thanks for the fast reply. It's appreciated.

I did try Mono (the one that comes with Unity) with a simple setup and it seemed to work, but I think it will be worth the effort of setting up a virtual PC and visual studio Express.

Stuart
TokyoDan

Postby TokyoDan » May 16th, 2013, 6:14 am

Why is Visual Studio required in the 1st place.
TokyoDan

Postby Henrik » May 16th, 2013, 7:31 am

TokyoDan wrote:Why is Visual Studio required in the 1st place.

If you want to build a multiplayer game on our platform, you need something that can compile your serverside code into a .Net dll. There are alternatives, but we recommend just getting Visual Studio Express.
Henrik
.IO

Postby Firebrand » May 16th, 2013, 3:28 pm

TokyoDan wrote:I'm developing with Unity on OSX. How did you get it setup in Mono on a Mac?

Stuart

Hi, just find the visual studio demo file ending in .sln (in the 'ServerSide code' directory in the Mushrooms Multiplayer Example) and click on that or use 'open with' and Mono will open up the project.
For your own project, I just copied the demo and changed the names to something I needed and adapted the code from there.

I've since moved to Visual Studio Express though.
Firebrand

Postby TokyoDan » May 17th, 2013, 12:11 am

Thanks. Once I found that what do I have to do. Build it?

Firebrand wrote:
TokyoDan wrote:I'm developing with Unity on OSX. How did you get it setup in Mono on a Mac?

Stuart

Hi, just find the visual studio demo file ending in .sln (in the 'ServerSide code' directory in the Mushrooms Multiplayer Example) and click on that or use 'open with' and Mono will open up the project.
For your own project, I just copied the demo and changed the names to something I needed and adapted the code from there.

I've since moved to Visual Studio Express though.
TokyoDan

Postby Firebrand » May 17th, 2013, 4:43 pm

TokyoDan wrote:Thanks. Once I found that what do I have to do. Build it?

Pretty much - just build it and the project builds a .dll file (in ServerSideCode/obj/debug) for uploading to PlayerIO.
As usual, you can alter and build the project as you wish from the default setup but if you are not sure then just upload the dll in the debug directory and it'll work fine. (or test it using a local version of the PlayerIO Server, but that's easy enough - just read PlayerIO's instructions on that. Plus they are pretty good at online help.

Stu
Firebrand

Return to Games