Forum QuickConnect Change Password and Later Add Email

Discussion and help relating to PlayerIO's QuickConnect feature, including Facebook Connect and Kongregate Connect.

Change Password and Later Add Email

Postby Intrawebs » January 16th, 2013, 9:46 am

There really needs to be a way to do these two things, this is standard with any kind of application. I would like my users to later be able to enter their email (post register).

On SimpleRegister the email address is optional in my Unity3D game. But later on users will enter it. The user needs to be able to reset their password prior logging into my game on a new device after registering on a different device (using just username and password with no email). Once on the new device, they can do SimpleRecoverPassword if they forgot their password, but, if they never entered an email address to begin with they are screwed! Or another use case is on the same device but their forgot their password and never registered with an email account. Thats basic...confused why it isnt supported.

When will this be supported? I dont want to require email on registration and I do want the user to later add an email account and update their password. Also, can we brand the password reset?
Intrawebs
Paid Member

Re: Change Password and Later Add Email

Postby Intrawebs » January 16th, 2013, 11:08 pm

The solution (not really one) I have come up with is do a normal connection (not QuickConnect) for first time users and after that join a service room with type of "Account". That room can then accept data on the join (password etc) and I can manually update that persons status in PlayerObjects (registered or not, new email, changed password etc).

A users first time connection will have its user name be a GUID, then it gets hacky. I need to allow the user (per my original post) to later log in on another device using the same username they will remember, so the GUID wont work. That's why after a first connection verifies there is no user with that name they can then create a new connection with their chosen name and I can save to PlayerObjects. If you thought that was hacky, all other connections from here on out I have to manually authenticate the user in a game room since I wont be using QuickConnect. I cant have someone spoofing the username param in the PlayerIO.Connect method.

This doesn't seem right, please tell me there is a solution for allowing users to change passwords and update their email so I can use QuickConnect and so I DON'T have to implement this hack I outlined. Player.IO probably wont be usable for me.
Intrawebs
Paid Member

Postby Benjaminsen » January 18th, 2013, 8:33 pm

While we are looking at creating a new QuickConnect implementation for us all to enjoy, it's not currently on-top of the development roadmap. Thus, while it's not optimally, you are better off implementing a more complex user system yourself.
Benjaminsen
.IO

Postby Intrawebs » January 18th, 2013, 8:52 pm

Thanks for coming up with improvements.

I have thought this out in depth the last few days and have architected something that will work better than what I suggested, on the 3rd rewrite of it, why is it authentication/authorization is always the best the 3rd time I write them.
Intrawebs
Paid Member

Postby Benjaminsen » January 18th, 2013, 9:00 pm

Intrawebs wrote:Thanks for coming up with improvements.

I have thought this out in depth the last few days and have architected something that will work better than what I suggested, on the 3rd rewrite of it, why is it authentication/authorization is always the best the 3rd time I write them.

I don't know, but it seems we have the same issue... just with longer roundtrip times ;)
Benjaminsen
.IO

Return to QuickConnect