Forum GameFS Client use

Discussion and help relating to the PlayerIO game asset hosting and CDN solution, GameFS.

Client use

Postby FefanSoftware » August 29th, 2012, 2:10 pm

Hi.
I'm making a game for the Epic Flash Game Contest and I'm storing most of my assets in the playerio GameFS. My question is that is it worse to gather the assets when connected to the client rather than the multiplayer server? I heard the asset is cache'd so it'd load quickly the next time you try to get it, but does this waste gameFS traffic?

I also wanted to ask if that saving pretty much most my assets on GameFS is a good idea. Does it go down often? If it's down, then the game can't even load.

I realise this forum is very unpopular, but I'd really love a response. (:
FefanSoftware

Re: Client use

Postby Henrik » August 29th, 2012, 3:42 pm

FefanSoftware wrote:Hi.
I'm making a game for the Epic Flash Game Contest and I'm storing most of my assets in the playerio GameFS. My question is that is it worse to gather the assets when connected to the client rather than the multiplayer server?

That depends on your game and how the game experience changes. Does it take a long time to load the assets? Does loading them interrupt some sort of game flow for the user? The reason most games loads assets at the start is so that users won't be interrupted in the middle of their games, in the middle of having fun, so that's probably a good reason to load them as soon as you can.

FefanSoftware wrote:I heard the asset is cache'd so it'd load quickly the next time you try to get it, but does this waste gameFS traffic?

If the assets are cached in the user's web browser cache, then no, it won't waste GameFS traffic. And as long as you use the client library to get the URLs for your assets, you won't ever have to worry about cache invalidations, because we handle that for you.

FefanSoftware wrote:I also wanted to ask if that saving pretty much most my assets on GameFS is a good idea. Does it go down often? If it's down, then the game can't even load.

Yes, it's a good idea. No, it doesn't go down often, I don't think the underlying CDN has been down in the last couple of years.
Henrik
.IO

Re: Client use

Postby FefanSoftware » August 29th, 2012, 4:21 pm

Hey, thanks a ton for that information and replying so quickly.
I guess I'll load most of my graphics at the start of the game and load the music while playing because it's not really needed to play the game. However, if you go to, say, a boss, I could load the graphics before fighting him.

Anyway, thanks. I recently found out about GameFS and I must say it's pretty damn epic.
FefanSoftware

Return to GameFS