Forum Other Serverside Scripting Capability

Other languages which can compile to a .Net 2.0 DLL

Scripting Capability

Postby phil.peron » September 24th, 2010, 8:16 pm

Hi All,

My team and I have been mulling over the cost/benefits of scripting game behavior for a while now. After some quick tests, it's clear that this will most certainly be an issue for deployment on Player.IO. Most importantly, the common use of classes inside the System.Reflection namespace for interpreters that cater to Lua, Boo and C# Script.

Has anyone played around with scripting (or creative alternatives) inside the boundaries of Player.IO?

Thanks,

-Phil
phil.peron

Re: Scripting Capability

Postby Oliver » September 27th, 2010, 11:40 am

Hey Phil,

That sounds really interesting. Currently the sandboxing of game code will block any attempts of using stuff in the System.Reflection namespace.

You mention C# Script yourself. I'd argue that for a ton of stuff, you don't need higher level scripting than C#, if you can get away with having all your code precompiled into one dll. For instance, the popoular scripting choice for Unity games is C#.

I'd love to hear more about the project you want to build and see if Player.IO is a good fit or not. For us, it's interesting to see where the boundaries of where our approach makes sense are, and you'd get quick insight into what's possible/impossible and what's a good idea not a good idea, which would speed your evaluation.

If you want, we can have a Skype chat about it?

If you're located in Europe, you can also just call our phone number (bottom of the page) during regular business hours. Ask for Oliver if you want to talk with me :-)

Best,
Oliver
Oliver
.IO

Re: Scripting Capability

Postby phil.peron » September 27th, 2010, 7:49 pm

Hi Oliver,

Thanks for the reply. I've sent you a PM to begin discussing this further.

Cheers,

-Phil
phil.peron

Return to Other Serverside