Forum Mobile Build Error with Unity iOS

Anything specifically relating to droid or iOS development with Unity can go here.

Build Error with Unity iOS

Postby capitaljmedia » November 4th, 2011, 11:29 pm

Hello,

I am developing an iOS game that will use PlayerIO. The game is being developed in Unity3D. Everything seems to work fine in the Unity editor but I cannot build to iOS as I get this message in Unity:

Error building Player: SystemException: System.Net.Sockets are supported only on Unity iPhone Advanced. Referenced from assembly 'PlayerIOUnity3DClient'.

Based on the documentation and forums on the PlayerIO site I was under the impression that PlayerIO was compatible with all versions of Unity and would work with the basic version of Unity iPhone. Is this incorrect?

-JJ
capitaljmedia

Re: Build Error with Unity iOS

Postby Henrik » November 5th, 2011, 10:16 am

It seems like the Unity team changed their feature bundling and pricing then. We're sorry, but there's not a lot we can do about that.
Henrik
.IO

Postby capitaljmedia » November 5th, 2011, 8:53 pm

Hi Henrik,

Thanks for the response. .Net Socket support has been a part of Unity iOS Pro for a long time, it's not something recent. The fact that Playerio does not work with Unity iOS, only iOS Pro is a really important fact to know. It's a $2600 difference for developers and it would be good to let them know that PlayerIO is not a option for indie Unity iOS developers, and not stating the opposite on your forum:

by Benjaminsen » January 11th, 2011, 10:50 am
Player.IO works with all versions of Unity and runs perfectly on iOS etc.

In January 2011 the Unity license was exactly the same as it is now :(

Moving forward, is there any way to not use .Net Sockets with PlayerIO Unity? Or any way to work with the PlayerIO team to help develop an option that does not reference .Net sockets?

-JJ
capitaljmedia

Postby Oliver » November 7th, 2011, 3:44 pm

PlayerIO is an online service, and as such uses sockets to send data back and forward between clients and servers. It will not work without it.

Player.IO does work on all versions of unity (web, iOS, android etc), but they apparently restrict it on different licences.

We're sorry that you got an misleading answer from benjaminsen ealier this year.

- Oliver
Oliver
.IO

Return to Mobile