Forum Multiplayer Creating rooms serverside?

Discussion and help relating to the PlayerIO Multiplayer API.

Creating rooms serverside?

Postby playstation3Dood » February 26th, 2010, 2:51 am

Hey guys, first post :)
I was wondering if, using c#, it is possible to creat a game room from the server side instead of from the client side. something like a creatRoom function on the server?

also, if all players leave a room does it get automatically deleted?
playstation3Dood

Re: Creating rooms serverside?

Postby Oliver » February 26th, 2010, 10:55 am

Hey!

Hey guys, first post

The first of many i hope!

I was wondering if, using c#, it is possible to creat a game room from the server side instead of from the client side. something like a creatRoom function on the server?

It's (currently) not possible, and i'm not sure why you would want to do so. It seems to me that it's sorta of like "if a tree falls in the forest, but nobody is around, does it make a sound".

Can you explain what the use case would be? If it's good, we might put it on the roadmap.

also, if all players leave a room does it get automatically deleted?

Yep.

But the createJoinRoom exists for exactly this reason. It will join the room if it exists, or create it if it doesn't.

- Oliver
Oliver
.IO

Postby playstation3Dood » February 27th, 2010, 1:31 am

Thanks you for the reply Oliver, and thanks for the info.

what i am trying to do is have some persistant rooms that are retain their properties and also appear in a room list, even when nobody is in them. On top of that I would profer the common "public" connection not to be able to create rooms. Room creating will be given to some higher-level connections.
playstation3Dood

Postby Cyclone103 » February 28th, 2010, 2:02 am

No need to do this serverside, just set up a static room list on the clientside and pass the information about the room to the server. You can keep information about the rooms in the database system when that comes out, or you can host it in a mysql database.

I can't really think of any reason why you would have to create a room serverside.
Cyclone103

Postby playstation3Dood » March 1st, 2010, 1:20 am

Thank you Cyclone103, you've been a great help on this one.
playstation3Dood

Postby Cyclone103 » March 1st, 2010, 2:17 am

No problem! If you use the code I posted on the other forum to make the roomlist, it should be a snap to change things around.
Cyclone103

Postby playstation3Dood » March 1st, 2010, 2:30 am

thanks, I'll check it out
playstation3Dood

Postby Cyclone103 » March 1st, 2010, 4:05 am

Cyclone103

Postby Oliver » March 1st, 2010, 9:15 am

Hey,

playstation3Dood wrote:On top of that I would profer the common "public" connection not to be able to create rooms. Room creating will be given to some higher-level connections.

We think that most games will want to create rooms from the clientside, so we won't change the default permission for the public ocnnection, but.... You can easily change it for your game under settings in the admin panel.

-Oliver
Oliver
.IO

Return to Multiplayer