Forum Multiplayer One-Click Updating

Discussion and help relating to the PlayerIO Multiplayer API.

One-Click Updating

Postby default0 » August 3rd, 2010, 8:55 pm

Hey

I have a small feature request to make updating the DLLs more comfortable.

I present: One-Click Updating

So, my idea is to set a path to a file for each DLL (f.e. C:\Users\SomeUser\Documents\MyMultiplayerGame\Output\MyGame.dll) and then save that path, so there is no need to re-select it each time and you can just click "Update".

Here's how it could look:

Click!

Under the Info section you could then change the standard upload path to any path youd like.

This would make updating a lot faster if you have several DLLs, because you just have to click once and then it uploads.

I'm guessing this feature is pretty unnecessary except for games with lots of DLLs, still I would really love to see it become reality.

Best regards
Try to play my Game: -->BlackGalaxy<--
default0

Re: One-Click Updating

Postby Benjaminsen » August 3rd, 2010, 9:05 pm

It's not technically possible to implement a feature like that, for the same reasons that its not possible for us to just upload random files from your computer to our servers. Great idea however.
Benjaminsen
.IO

Postby Henrik » August 4th, 2010, 10:35 am

More specifically, it's the web browsers that won't allow us to do a feature like that, for security reasons. If you could pre-populate a file upload field in a form, you could make a malicious web page that automatically grabs a bunch of files from the visitor's computer: passwords, bookmarks, chat logs etc... That's why you always have to select the file yourself. :-)
Henrik
.IO

Postby default0 » August 7th, 2010, 1:14 pm

Henrik wrote:More specifically, it's the web browsers that won't allow us to do a feature like that, for security reasons. If you could pre-populate a file upload field in a form, you could make a malicious web page that automatically grabs a bunch of files from the visitor's computer: passwords, bookmarks, chat logs etc... That's why you always have to select the file yourself. :-)

Ah okay, I see the reason :)

Thank you for the information

Best regards
Try to play my Game: -->BlackGalaxy<--
default0

Postby markloika » August 10th, 2010, 1:01 am

You guys could build an Adobe Air app that would do this. I don't think that would even be very complicated. That would be a really nice feature to have. Perhaps you could make the app detect if there's a newer version of the .dll than what's uploaded to the server, and it would have some sort of visual icon to alert the developer. More often than not I work on something on the serverside code, forget to upload the .dll, and then waste time trying to debug my code (that's not even being executed). I know that's a personal problem ;) but it would still be a cool feature to have.
markloika

Return to Multiplayer