Forum Multiplayer Error: Could not grab locks for objects: there was too much

Discussion and help relating to the PlayerIO Multiplayer API.

Error: Could not grab locks for objects: there was too much

Postby UnknownGuardian » July 21st, 2010, 5:22 am

Code: Select all
Error: Could not grab locks for objects: there was too much access to the given objects in the allotted time.
   at MethodInfo-227()
   at MethodInfo-2()
   at flash.events::EventDispatcher/dispatchEventFunction()
   at flash.events::EventDispatcher/dispatchEvent()
   at flash.net::URLLoader/onComplete()

What is this? It randomly popped up. Anyway to remove it? All attempts to connect to player.io are failing right now.
UnknownGuardian

Re: Error: Could not grab locks for objects: there was too much

Postby Oliver » July 26th, 2010, 10:10 am

It's caused server-side when there are multiple requests to update the same object at the same time. These requests have to be serialized (i.e, they have to take turns in performing their changes to the 'master object').

This is accomplished by locking the master object, applying the change and releaseing the lock.

If another update already has the lock, the current update will have to wait untill the lock is released. However, there is a timeout for this operation if the lock is held too long; That's what you saw.

I'm pretty sure it was some intermediate instability in the backend; probably a service restart, since you also saw other issues at the same time.
Oliver
.IO

Re: Error: Could not grab locks for objects: there was too much

Postby UnknownGuardian » July 26th, 2010, 6:31 pm

ok, it was probably a backend issue then. I don't permit editing objects once stored in the DB. Perhaps just a minor fluke.
UnknownGuardian

Return to Multiplayer