Forum Multiplayer Leaderboards problem

Discussion and help relating to the PlayerIO Multiplayer API.

Leaderboards problem

Postby obelisk » April 22nd, 2020, 5:14 pm

So I will say this is a nifty feature. A redis-style database for top ranks is great.

The problem though is that it stores the userid, so this unfortunately makes it difficult to make use of since I would otherwise require setting up another table that only contains connectUserID -> In-Game-Name to query each for to get public names for presentation.

I feel like it'd be great if we had the ability to put custom values in (override for userids) to make more efficient use of this.

Also, I assume some games access this via client-side. It should be obvious that this goes against privacy terms of service for sites like ArmorGames and Kongregate, providing methods people to access other member's user id's. I imagine this is a MAJOR a problem on Facebook terms as well.

It doesn't take much for someone to get access to this from the client-side for any game that uses the client to retrieve these values :(
obelisk
Paid Member

Re: Leaderboards problem

Postby Henrik » May 4th, 2020, 7:48 am

Hey, cool that you're checking out the feature!

I hear what you're saying about a different mapping, but in the end, it's going to be the same amount of work done, just not in your code. The connectUserId is the common userid that the PlayerIO SDK uses all over the place, and it is the key for PlayerObject objects, so if you've stored the display name there, it's pretty trivial to do a LoadKeys to get all the other players in one go. As a bonus, you can load any other info about players you want to display, maybe they have avatars or other information that you always want to display when you list a user?

If you're worried about using too much data, it's a pretty good idea to keep a cache of connectUserId -> Display name mappings in your gamerooms or similar, that should cut down traffic quite a bit.
Henrik
.IO

Return to Multiplayer