Forum Multiplayer High disconnected rate from Multiplayer room

Discussion and help relating to the PlayerIO Multiplayer API.

High disconnected rate from Multiplayer room

Postby jyk » August 1st, 2018, 3:06 am

We encountered very high disconnect rate in our game(10%), we define "disconnect" in this way:
- Players join the room
- Each player send a heartbeat message(every 1 second) to PlayerIO server and get response from PlayerIO server.
- If we can get response in 5 seconds(response timestamp - send timestamp < 5 seconds), we say the connection is ok, otherwise we say user disconnected. We will pop up a "reconnecting" notes to user.

As we tested, we found the "disconnect" issue is caused by server response blocking. I mean sometimes the heartbeat got no response in 10 senconds and then suddenly got 10 responses in 1 second.

My questions are:
(1) Is this behaviour normal or abnormal? does it behave as design?
(2) How should client side check whether the connection is ok? We did (as described above) correctly or not?

We are "Pro" custom of PlayerIO, so I asked help from PlayerIO many times, but get no response, can anyone in the forum help me? Is the PlayerIO service business still in running?
jyk
Paid Member

Re: High disconnected rate from Multiplayer room

Postby robscherer123 » August 1st, 2018, 2:22 pm

Hello, I can't say for sure whether that is normal or not. I've always imagined it was possible though. Is there a reason for disconnecting the user when their connection is running slow? Do you know if those users have poor connections or are located farther away from the server?

Also, is your game sending a ton of other messages that may be waiting until those ones are sent? I'm not sure if that's how the backend of the service works, but I'm just thinking of anything that could perhaps cause the issue.

PlayerIO service it still up and running, I just don't think the forums are checked super often.
robscherer123
Paid Member

Return to Multiplayer