Forum Multiplayer Need Help Getting Started with Multiplayer

Discussion and help relating to the PlayerIO Multiplayer API.

Need Help Getting Started with Multiplayer

Postby RossD20Studios » March 12th, 2018, 4:54 pm

Greetings PlayerIO Community,

I'm just getting started with Multiplayer programming in PlayerIO. In the past, I've written multiplayer using AS3 and SmartFox Server Pro, so I recognize and am familiar with many of the similar structures used (rooms, etc.). I'm new to C# and using Visual Studio.

I'm attempting to follow the "Getting started doc" located https://playerio.com/documentation/tuto ... mbopackage

I'm working on Mac OSX 10.12.5 and I've installed Visual Studio Community. I was able to successfully load the solution and run the server. When I ran the server, I was prompted for my PlayerIO login (which I provided) then the window closed and no further information appeared. Then, I published the FridgeMagnets.fla, received a successful connection trace, and then watched on my PlayerIO dashboard to see that indeed a room had been created.

The trouble I am having is the ability to test multiple windows at the same time to confirm that multiplayer is functioning. Every time that I attempt to open a second instance of FridgeMagnets.swf, the server connection is lost on all instances. For a brief moment, I was able to confirm that state changes were being received. To do this, I opened a FridgeMagnets.swf, then compiled a second instance and for about 1 second it ran and reflected a shared game state between the two.

According to the guide, I should be able to play consistently with multiple connections open on the same test computer. However, it looks like PlayerIO may be restricting multiple connections and closing out access to computers with multiple server requests. Is this true? If so, is there a way to allow multiple connections so that I can effectively test multiplayer functionality within two client instances running on my development machine?

Thanks in advance for your support!

~Ross
RossD20Studios

Re: Need Help Getting Started with Multiplayer

Postby RossD20Studios » March 12th, 2018, 7:38 pm

After several more attempts to get this working, I finally decided to try running on my windows machine and got the server running and able to support multiple connections without any problems. Then, I searched the forum again and found this post: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=34898&p=46363&hilit=unable+to+connect+to+server#p46363

So it seems the issue is that this is that running the test server on Mac simply isn't supported. No worries if that's the case, but please consider updating the site and getting started documentation to specify that Windows development environment is required so that fellow developers on Mac don't get stuck in this same place.
RossD20Studios

Re: Need Help Getting Started with Multiplayer

Postby KDNGAMES » May 12th, 2018, 12:32 pm

Im running everything in OSX just fine with no issues
KDNGAMES

Return to Multiplayer