Forum Multiplayer Is there a limit to number of active rooms?

Discussion and help relating to the PlayerIO Multiplayer API.

Is there a limit to number of active rooms?

Postby EvermoreGaming » January 7th, 2018, 10:07 am

Hello,

Is there a problem with having 1 room for each player, even if there's thousands of players online?

EvermoreGaming

Re: Is there a limit to number of active rooms?

Postby realmaster42 » January 7th, 2018, 12:18 pm

EvermoreGaming wrote:Hello,

Is there a problem with having 1 room for each player, even if there's thousands of players online?

Hey Evermore,

Sadly there is.
I'm not sure of the value rn but I'm pretty sure it's above 50 (using Free Plan).
realmaster42

Postby EvermoreGaming » January 8th, 2018, 5:21 am

Thanks realmaster.

I reworked the architecture to use less rooms, but I'd still be interested to get a concrete answer from the devs.

I know realmaster mentioned 50ish rooms for a free account. What about the payment tiers?
EvermoreGaming

Postby robscherer123 » January 8th, 2018, 9:45 pm

I don't know of there being a limit for the amount of rooms you can use. However I'm sure if you start using some absolutely insane amount that causes issues with the PlayerIO servers, someone may contact you asking you to lower it. But if your using a reasonable amount, there is no limit that I know of (there's a small chance I could be wrong though).
robscherer123
Paid Member

Postby realmaster42 » January 9th, 2018, 7:30 pm

EvermoreGaming wrote:Thanks realmaster.

I reworked the architecture to use less rooms, but I'd still be interested to get a concrete answer from the devs.

I know realmaster mentioned 50ish rooms for a free account. What about the payment tiers?

Well, I double checked and you can actually start any amount of rooms. However, in Free Plan, at a certain amount things become glitchy, as in lag + playerIO failing.

Pro and Enterprise don't have these issues, and Plus only has it if in an extreme amount of rooms (e.g. above 1000).
realmaster42

Postby Henrik » January 30th, 2018, 9:38 am

EvermoreGaming wrote:Is there a problem with having 1 room for each player, even if there's thousands of players online?

Hey Evermore,

No, there are no limits on the amount of rooms per game, or rooms per user. The only limit is on users per room, which is set to 45.

That said, one room per user is probably a bad idea. If you just need to put every user in any room to make sure you can execute serverside code for each user, you should look into service rooms, they are built for that purpose.
Henrik
.IO

Return to Multiplayer