Forum Multiplayer Region of Interest Management via Inter-Room Communication

Discussion and help relating to the PlayerIO Multiplayer API.

Region of Interest Management via Inter-Room Communication

Postby hyperion51 » July 21st, 2017, 4:29 pm

Greetings,

As I understand it, PlayerIO requires players to be separated into rooms, which can be considered a trivial form of ROI management. As long as there is no limitation on when players can be moved from room-to-room, this is sufficient for me to implement a sort of open world for a game like Aetheria where rooms could be connected by wormholes and loading screens.

Aetheria is currently on my backburner as I work on another game, Rust to Dust, the networking for which requires a rather more convincing open world implementation. With what PlayerIO provides by default, a naive grid-based implementation would result in not being able to see players right next to you when you are standing near the border of a grid cell. The best I could accomplish is "sharding" the world into stochastically sampled localized clusters of players not exceeding the room size limit, but that is both a lot of engineering and not likely to yield great results (what if you agree to meet somewhere in-game but the other player was assigned another shard?)

Much better would be if I could communicate between "rooms" in a limited way, for example by assigning each room a cell in a multiresolution grid (so that rooms can expand to cover sparsely populated areas) - and sending to each player in a room the updates (perhaps at a reduced rate) for players in adjacent cells. But as far as I know PlayerIO does not support any kind of messaging between rooms that would allow that. Please let me know if there's an option for that.

Also I would much rather be sending this in an email, but I understand that's a feature of one of your pricing tiers.

Cheers,
Reinier Vens
hyperion51

Re: Region of Interest Management via Inter-Room Communicati

Postby Henrik » August 12th, 2017, 1:46 am

Hey Reinier,

No, sorry, there's no real-time inter-room messaging. You could use BigDB and polling, but that's admittedly not a very good solution.
Henrik
.IO

Postby hyperion51 » August 12th, 2017, 5:15 pm

Alternatively, I could keep all my players in one big room and use RoI management to lower the message rate. The documentation mentions a limit of 45 players. Is this enforced? Can it be increased? I'd be content if that could be doubled or tripled.
hyperion51

Postby Henrik » August 15th, 2017, 9:25 pm

If you get a private server, you can set the room limits to whatever you want.

The limits on the main cluster are chosen for a reason though, and we do not recommend increasing them. It's better to design your game such that it can handle an arbitrary amount of users in a distributed fashion, but it's your choice. :-)
Henrik
.IO

Postby hyperion51 » August 15th, 2017, 10:17 pm

It's not about what the game can handle, but what users expect. Rust to Dust is targeting the Battle Royale genre, where players expect a lobby to contain 80-100 users maximum at the start of a match, spread out over a large area, contracting to a tiny area as players eliminate each other over the course of about half an hour.
hyperion51

Postby Henrik » August 16th, 2017, 6:03 am

Oh I see, 100 players per room is definitely something you can have on a private cluster.

If I were you, i would develop and beta-test your game on the Main cluster and just live with the 45-player limit, and when you think your game is good enough and can attract enough players, switch to a private cluster and increase the limit.
Henrik
.IO

Postby robertflesch » September 28th, 2017, 2:50 am

I believe to can subscribe to unlimited rooms at the same time.
So another option would be to subscribe to multiple rooms which are adjacent to each other logically.
robertflesch
Paid Member

Return to Multiplayer