Forum Multiplayer Some questions

Discussion and help relating to the PlayerIO Multiplayer API.

Some questions

Postby Benedani » April 26th, 2017, 4:34 pm

There's quite a few restrictions explained on the 'plans' page, but I still don't get some stuff.
1. How much code does it exactly take so it exceeds 100ms? Apart from infinite loops, of course.
2. What's the RAM limit for game code running?
3. Does Game Traffic limit on plans mean monthly or all time? Because if it's all time then bots can easily be made to eat up the limit while I'm not on to prevent them from attacking. Happened two times already which are the two huge spikes in my history.
4. How exactly does the server get placed? I've heard some stuff about you being placed on a nearby server when you create the room, but if someone else connects to it then it can't be controlled, right? And then they get latency issues... Or does it change which server it's running on automatically?
Benedani

Re: Some questions

Postby Henrik » April 26th, 2017, 8:40 pm

1) That depends on what the code does. It's pretty much impossible to say by just looking at code.

The PlayerIO development server will warn you if your serverside code starts going over the limit, so I wouldn't worry about this until you actually get warnings.

2) There are no hard numbers, but servers are being monitored, and if a game starts causing issues, it'll be moved to another cluster to stop it from causing issues for other games, and we'll talk to the developer. .Net is garbage-collected so you can easily churn through a lot of memory, as long as you don't keep enormous memory structures for a long time.

3) All the limits and allowances are monthly.

4) When a room is created, the system picks the best server for it, and the first player joins. All subsequent players joining that room will join on the same server, and the room will stay on that server until it is closed.
Henrik
.IO

Re: Some questions

Postby Benedani » April 26th, 2017, 8:56 pm

Hmm... interesting. Garbage collection, warnings...

Also good to know that the limits are monthly. It would be hell if it would be counting all times, it would be basically like a trial.

Everyone connecting to the best server for the actual user... Say an user created room in Europe and someone connects from Australia... That'd be a little problematic. But with 5G coming up, I'm not sure how much it counts anyway. Also, I could display the country where the room is hosted in, so people can get the lowest latency.
Benedani

Return to Multiplayer