Forum Multiplayer Can't connect to shared dev server

Discussion and help relating to the PlayerIO Multiplayer API.

Can't connect to shared dev server

Postby Tibit » February 6th, 2013, 4:20 pm

When I create a game in my account I can connect just fine.

However when my friend create a game in his account and shares it with me we get trouble.

This is what we do:
1. I build the server (login as myself, not him)
2. Server is running fine
- logged into my account
- I can see my own cluster in MyAccount - OurGameName - Multiplayer - Game Servers - My Clusters
- I can see my friends cluster above in "Inactive Clusters"
- The game was created in my friend's admin panel and shared with me

3. Our flash client calls this code:
Code: Select all
         PlayerIO.quickConnect.simpleConnect(
            Starling.current.nativeStage,
            "pixel-runners-ykt51hetookeyzakrqfvdcxwi",
            "Guest",
            "password",
            handleConnect,
            handleError
         );
private function handleConnect(client:Client):void{
         trace("Sucessfully connected to player.io");

//Set developmentsever (Comment out to connect to your server online)
         client.multiplayer.developmentServer = "localhost:8184"; //

//Create pr join the room test
         client.multiplayer.createJoinRoom(
            "test",                        //Room id. If set to null a random roomid is used
            "MyCode",                     //The game type started on the server
            true,                        //Should the room be visible in the lobby?
            {},                           //Room data. This data is returned to lobby list. Variabels can be modifed on the server
            {},                           //User join data
            handleJoin,                     //Function executed on successful joining of the room
            handleError                     //Function executed if we got a join error
         );
      }

This is the output I get:
[Starting debug session with FDB]
[Starling] Initialization complete.
[Starling] Display Driver: DirectX9 (Baseline Constrained)
Sucessfully connected to player.io
got Error: There is no server in any of the selected server clusters [Karma Octopus: Development Cluster] that are eligible to start a new room in (they're all at full capacity or there are no servers in any of the clusters). Either change the selected clusters for your game in the admin panel, try again later or start some more servers for one of your clusters.
Tibit

Re: Can't connect to shared dev server

Postby annaeva » November 15th, 2022, 2:37 am

If you're having trouble connecting to the shared dev server at playerio, there are a few things you can try. First, make sure you're connected to the same network as playerio. If you're on a different network, try connecting to it with a VPN or SSH client. If that doesn't work, try setting up a static IP address on your computer.

If that still doesn't work, you can also try running the server on a different port than it's running on. If you're using port 80, you can set up a separate server on port 8080. If you're using port 443, you can set up a separate server on port 80443.mapquest directions

Finally, if none of those things work, you can contact playerio support and ask them to run the server on your computer's local network instead of on the shared dev server.
annaeva

Return to Multiplayer