Forum Multiplayer MMO Style "Areas" using Rooms

Discussion and help relating to the PlayerIO Multiplayer API.

MMO Style "Areas" using Rooms

Postby tomeglenn » July 15th, 2011, 2:27 pm

Hi all,

Not sure if this has been asked and answered before (Had a quick look but couldn't find anything).
What I would like to do is have my game setup like a standard MMO with different areas players can go to. Obviously this would have to adhere to the 45 players per room limit, so I'm thinking I should just have multiple instances of each area as seperate rooms when one area reaches its max.

I.e. there could be 3 instances of the area "Forest" running at any given time, with up to a max of 45 players in each.

Now, obviously I want to check if an instance already exists and if it has any open spaces. I don't want to provide a null value for the roomid because I don't want everyone to enter a random instance of each area and end up on their own all the time.

Can anyone suggest how I would go about doing this?

Also, lets say I had generic server code for an area (That handles players joining/leaving/interacting with NPCs etc), do I need to make this multiple times for each area in my server code dll? Or do I just inherit from my class (MyGame) and specifiy the room type for each?

I'm a bit baffled by this whole PlayerIO setup at the minute in terms of making it work for a real MMO scenario, but I'm sure it is quite simple to achieve.

Cheers
tomeglenn

Re: MMO Style "Areas" using Rooms

Postby tomeglenn » July 16th, 2011, 4:42 pm

I've been reading the forums and stumbled across a potential solution in a slightly unrelated thread.

This looks almost exactly like what I am after:

Benjaminsen wrote:If you use createJoinRoom and use the room id "$service-room$", without the quotes, your users will automatically get distributed evenly out over N amount of 80% full rooms. IE if 1000 people call createJoinRoom("$service-room$" ... they will be automatically put into 28 rooms with a maximum of 38 people online in each.
tomeglenn

Return to Multiplayer