Forum Multiplayer MMO Style "Areas" using Rooms

Discussion and help relating to the PlayerIO Multiplayer API.

MMO Style "Areas" using Rooms

Postby tomeglenn » July 15th, 2011, 2:27 pm

Hi all,

Not sure if this has been asked and answered before (Had a quick look but couldn't find anything).
What I would like to do is have my game setup like a standard MMO with different areas players can go to. Obviously this would have to adhere to the 45 players per room limit, so I'm thinking I should just have multiple instances of each area as seperate rooms when one area reaches its max.

I.e. there could be 3 instances of the area "Forest" running at any given time, with up to a max of 45 players in each.

Now, obviously I want to check if an instance already exists and if it has any open spaces. I don't want to provide a null value for the roomid because I don't want everyone to enter a random instance of each area and end up on their own all the time.

Can anyone suggest how I would go about doing this?

Also, lets say I had generic server code for an area (That handles players joining/leaving/interacting with NPCs etc), do I need to make this multiple times for each area in my server code dll? Or do I just inherit from my class (MyGame) and specifiy the room type for each?

I'm a bit baffled by this whole PlayerIO setup at the minute in terms of making it work for a real MMO scenario, but I'm sure it is quite simple to achieve.

Cheers
tomeglenn

Re: MMO Style "Areas" using Rooms

Postby tomeglenn » July 16th, 2011, 4:42 pm

I've been reading the forums and stumbled across a potential solution in a slightly unrelated thread.

This looks almost exactly like what I am after:

Benjaminsen wrote:If you use createJoinRoom and use the room id "$service-room$", without the quotes, your users will automatically get distributed evenly out over N amount of 80% full rooms. IE if 1000 people call createJoinRoom("$service-room$" ... they will be automatically put into 28 rooms with a maximum of 38 people online in each.
tomeglenn

Re: MMO Style "Areas" using Rooms

Postby hopejames » July 21st, 2021, 5:57 am

The latest trending services for the students persuing higher education is the mobile learning companies most easiest and convenient way of learning. Acadecraft helps all kinds of learners by coping with them providing best service.
hopejames

Return to Multiplayer