Forum Games How to set up git for game development with Unity?

Discussion relating to game development with Unity

How to set up git for game development with Unity?

Postby johnnixon » November 14th, 2019, 7:33 am

I'm starting to work on a project and need to figure out what's the best way to do version control right now. There are a few things I'm not sure about:

What's the best repository hosting service for Unity right now? I thought about using Bitbucket since it has 2GB hard limit for repo size and 10GB for LFS for free. I've heard that many people recommend Gitlab as well, but I can't figure out what the specific limits for repo/LFS are and how expensive additional storage is.

[url]In this post[/url] https://docsbay.net/lets-talk-about-uni ... d-workflow, it's suggested to use the .gitignore file from github but also that When you add something to gitignore, it doesn't ignore the associated meta file. But the .gitignore file contains these lines:

Code: Select all
# Unity3D generated meta files

*.pidb.meta

*.pdb.meta
Won't this exclude all the mata files?

It's also recommended to use SmartGit instead of GitKraken and Github desktop. What about Sourcetree? Also I've heard that Gitkraken has gotten a lot better recently, can somebody confirm if it works for bigger projects?

Also this point form the post: When you add something to gitignore, it doesn't ignore the associated meta file. How important is this? Should I really care?
johnnixon

Return to Games