Forum Games Pay-to-play model in multiplayer games 2020

Discussion relating to game development with Unity

Pay-to-play model in multiplayer games 2020

Postby risklessbegyy » December 29th, 2020, 11:22 am

Hello!

I am thinking about current situation in gaming world. Fortnite and Apex changed many things. One of them is increased popularity of free to play model. Previosuly, this model was common in mobile gaming and in MOBA games (Dota 2, LoL, HotS). Right now many of most popular games on Steam are f2p (CS:GO, Dota 2, Destiny 2, TF2, Apex). Also we should mention Warzone, which is a free mode of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare.

I would like to ask you about this model in MP games. Are you still intrested in paying for multiplayer experience or is this model passé?

This topic is interesteing for me, because of my disappointment with Fall Guys. IMO this game is ok, but is not worth the price (even right now, on sale). F2P is not an option for this game, but maybe price reduction to ~8.99?

Overwatch is also a game that should be F2P. For new players it isn't worth to play and learn, but free to play would completely change this problem. Look at Counter-Strike:GO, it became free to play.

So again, what's your opinion? I think that BR games changed my perspective on buying a multiplayer game. Few years ago I didn't have a problem with buying brand new Call of Duty, Battlefield, Counter Strike or Overwatch. Right now, with knowledge that many mainstream titles are free, I lost my conficence.

Thanks

wwwrouterlogin-net extender-ampedsetup smart-linksyssmartwifi
risklessbegyy

Return to Games