Forum PayVault Question about in-game purchases

Discussion and help relating to the PlayerIO payment solution, PayVault.

Question about in-game purchases

Postby MeltdownZA » December 12th, 2012, 9:09 am

Hi,

I'm setting up my web browser game to make in-game payments to unlock the full game.
I've read through the documentation but still don't understand something.

I understand I need to provide the user experience for the user, but how does the user actually go about making the payment?
i.e where do they enter their credit card details etc? I don't see any option in the API to accept these sort of details.

Sorry for the noob question :oops:

Thanks
MeltdownZA

Re: Question about in-game purchases

Postby Henrik » December 12th, 2012, 5:35 pm

That depends on which payment provider you are using. For example, if you are using paypal: http://playerio.com/documentation/payva ... der/paypal, then you make API call to Player.IO, get back a url, and show that webpage to the user somehow. That page will be served by PayPal, and the user can make the payment there in whatever way the want, and when the payment is done, you can refresh the user's PayVault, and see that there are new coins or items in it.

If you're using FaceBook credits as another example, you will first make the API call to Player.IO, and then make a call to the FB javascript API on the page which will then start the Facebook payment flow, etc.

So read up on the providers we support, different providers are good at different sorts of payments and have different penetration in various markets, and have different transaction costs, etc, and then pick the ones that make sense for your game.
Henrik
.IO

Postby MeltdownZA » December 12th, 2012, 6:44 pm

Ok thanks, this will be for a game running in the Unity Web player.

So if I want it to look 'integrated' into my game I'll need to get a web browser that works within Unity, which as far as I can see is not possible as the Web Player doesnt' support plugins.

Best is to then open up a web browser window and let the user complete the payment out of the game.
MeltdownZA

Postby Benjaminsen » December 18th, 2012, 1:09 pm

For security reasons you should never try to collect credit card information inside your game. Besides being bad behaviour you will also see a higher than average loss rate. Quite simply, you, the developer, cannot be trusted with my credit card details, nor does your game provide any form of standardized way for me to verify that the transaction is done via an encrypted transaction etc.

Thus, yes, you should absolutely spawn a new browser window. This also applies to desktop games.
Benjaminsen
.IO

Postby MeltdownZA » December 18th, 2012, 1:16 pm

I agree Ben,

Although I did think PlayerIO would have some nifty popup that let user make in-app purchases :)
MeltdownZA

Postby Benjaminsen » December 18th, 2012, 1:59 pm

MeltdownZA wrote:I agree Ben,

Although I did think PlayerIO would have some nifty popup that let user make in-app purchases :)

We try not to have any client side UI what so ever inside the Player.IO server. However now you ask about it, the feature set you are requesting is provided by UltimatePay. http://playerio.com/documentation/payva ... ltimatepay

I do however still suggest you send the users to a dedicated payment site.

Alternatively, we can highly recommend posting your Unity games on Kongregate, with their kreds system integrated.
Benjaminsen
.IO

Postby MeltdownZA » December 18th, 2012, 2:14 pm

Benjaminsen wrote:
MeltdownZA wrote:Alternatively, we can highly recommend posting your Unity games on Kongregate, with their kreds system integrated.

One of my main reasons for using Player.IO is so I don't need to implement a custom in-game purchase system for every portal I put the game on. Although I would imagine for Kongregate they wouldn't accept any other forms of in-game payments other than Kreds.

But the Chrome web store for example and another portal I will use Player.IO for payments.
MeltdownZA

Return to PayVault