Forum PayVault Paypal micropayments

Discussion and help relating to the PlayerIO payment solution, PayVault.

Paypal micropayments

Postby BadViking » September 8th, 2011, 4:35 pm

Hi,

I was wondering how many people out there are using payvault with paypal and finding the fees a bit steep for microtransactions. Is anyone using an account set up for paypal's micropayments? https://www.paypalobjects.com/IntegrationCenter/ic_micropayments.html

By my reckoning you're better off using that system on any sales of around $12 or less.

Also, on a side note, I've only just set up payvault with paypal and tried to use it for the first time. The payment came through fine but the vault was not updated instantly. I think this was because I had to accept the payment via paypal first before the transaction went through. Does anyone know anything about this? Presumably there must be a way to avoid having to accept payments before a transaction completes.

Thanks in advance for any feedback,
Rob
BadViking
Paid Member

Re: Paypal micropayments

Postby Henrik » September 8th, 2011, 6:46 pm

Presumably there must be a way to avoid having to accept payments before a transaction completes.

Yes, you have to have a confirmed merchant account for them to be automatically accepted, unless PayPal changed their obscure rules yet again. :-/ Basically, if your account is too new or suspicious, there are restricions in place.
Henrik
.IO

Postby UmutD » September 9th, 2011, 2:14 pm

Hi,

I'm checking PlayerIO for a while and I'm planning to make my new game with it, I'm pretty excited. But I have some questions regarding micropayments, especially about paypals (since it seems to be the most common used one).

1) I noticed something in the link in the first message of this topic, which states "PayPal offers support for Micropayments to merchants for US to US, GB to GB, AU to AU, and EU to EU transactions for Business and Premier accounts.". I live in Turkey, so does this mean I can't use any kind of Payvault features for Paypal? (I can receive money in my normal paypal account but can't receive any money within my game?) If so, which payment providers also have this kind of geographical limitation?

I'm still examining example games and there is already a lot of stuff I need to read about technical stuff I'm new to... However after reading all the documentation and spending days/weeks/months preparing the game itself, if I realize that I can't monetize my next project because of some weird policy/issue on payment providers side, it would be really really bad.

2) http://playerio.com/documentation/payva ... der/paypal --> here it says, "Make sure IPN is enabled for your PayPal account. You do not need to enter an IPN postback URL, and you do not need to change your existing if you have one." Just for testing, I tried to enable it without a postback URL, but paypal didn't accept it, it says I need to enter a proper link.

I wondered and searched about IPN, and there came a lot of documentation which seemed a bit complicated and I couldn't relate. I'm sure PlayerIO API is making things easier but still, will I need to go over to all payment provides sites and read all other documentation outside of playerIO site? I was hoping the playerIO documentation itself (which is pretty neat and understandable for me) would be enough, without having to delve into intricacies of other payment providers API's. (Forgive me if I'm mistaken, I didn't read the whole documentation yet, even I read it completely, it is a bit early for me to understand every little detail)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be lazy or cut corners, I'm trying to understand the scope of workload, and if my abilites are enough to move forward with my new project. I already developed some flash games here: ( http://www.umutdervis.com ) but I have zero C# and server-side knowledge, except I read and understand some basic fundamentals in playerIO basic tutorial.

I understand developing multiplayer games can be very hard, and I want to give all my time if I believe that I can make it work.

Thanks in advance for your answers. (And sorry for hi-jacking this topic with new questions, the first link just caught my eye, I can open a new topic if you want)

Umut
UmutD

Postby Henrik » September 13th, 2011, 9:01 pm

UmutD wrote:1) I noticed something in the link in the first message of this topic, which states "PayPal offers support for Micropayments to merchants for US to US, GB to GB, AU to AU, and EU to EU transactions for Business and Premier accounts.". I live in Turkey, so does this mean I can't use any kind of Payvault features for Paypal? (I can receive money in my normal paypal account but can't receive any money within my game?) If so, which payment providers also have this kind of geographical limitation?

PayPal has limitations on some of their features, but not on general web payments which is what you get when you use PayVault. I haven't looked into how their micropayments feature works, or if it is something that we can support through PayVault yet.

As for the other payment providers, you will have to go to each provider and check if there are any restrictions for you. As far as we know, they should be avaialable for everybody.

UmutD wrote:2) http://playerio.com/documentation/payva ... der/paypal --> here it says, "Make sure IPN is enabled for your PayPal account. You do not need to enter an IPN postback URL, and you do not need to change your existing if you have one." Just for testing, I tried to enable it without a postback URL, but paypal didn't accept it, it says I need to enter a proper link.

Enter http://www.google.com then. It doesn't matter what URL you enter, since all PayVault requests won't use that one. It's just a stupid requirement in PayPal's systems that you enter something there.

UmutD wrote:I wondered and searched about IPN, and there came a lot of documentation which seemed a bit complicated and I couldn't relate. I'm sure PlayerIO API is making things easier but still, will I need to go over to all payment provides sites and read all other documentation outside of playerIO site?

For each provider, you only need to follow the instructions we have on the corresponding Player.IO provider documentation page.
Henrik
.IO

Return to PayVault