Forum PayVault Good use case?

Discussion and help relating to the PlayerIO payment solution, PayVault.

Good use case?

Postby azuanagames » July 29th, 2011, 5:39 am

With my next game coming up I am trying to work out how I'll be using PayVault.

My current approach is to credit() users when they win a game round or entire match. This happens quite often. My idea was to credit() a few coins. The user can then purchase vault items with the coins. It would then be totally optional for the user to purchase coins out-right. For instance if they don't want to wait to gather enough coins.

The idea is that there won't be anything that requires a purchase. It will just take longer.

The only issue I have is that each credit goes into the PayVault history. It seems like I will get charged 0.01 per 1000 entries. It's not a huge amount, but it can add up easily.

Is the way I'm using coins correct? Should I simply lower the rewards to be per match instead of rounds? That should cut down on the amount of credits...

Ideas?
azuanagames

Re: Good use case?

Postby Benjaminsen » July 31st, 2011, 9:20 pm

PayVault is designed specifically for paid transactions, the replication factor, security backups etc are therefore much more aggressive to ensure that no payment could possibly be lost, get out of synch etc etc. This is naturally a lot more expensive, which is why we charge you a bit for every entry into the system.

You are however free to use PayVault as you prefer, but it would be considerably cheaper to have a dural currency model where you simply store an account balance in BigDB.
Benjaminsen
.IO

Postby azuanagames » August 1st, 2011, 3:26 pm

What exactly is a dural currency model ? Did you mean dual?

So, you're basically saying I should use BigDb, this is how I was doing it before. Do you think I should still keep the items in PayVault? I can create a special room to buy/sell items using "cash" from my PlayerObject and items in PayVault. One benefit is that I can use the PayVault analytics to see what folks are purchasing. Or I can just use BigDB and only use PayVault to purchase coins. Then convert the coins to my games cash.

Thanks for your help.
azuanagames

Postby Benjaminsen » August 1st, 2011, 7:47 pm

Yea, I tried to type dual currency but the new spelling control system in OSX Lion got me once again!

Anyway, what you describe above is pretty much how I setup Everybody Edits currency model. I do however use the "give" method when awarding users packages. The advantage of this is that free transactions do not show up on the sales stats allowing me to determine how much real money a purchase made me.

What you could do if you only want a single currency is to maintain a balance in BigDB and PayVault and simply merge the two when displaying it to the user.
Benjaminsen
.IO

Return to PayVault