Forum Monetization Suggestions on monetizing my game

General discussion on monetization of games.

Suggestions on monetizing my game

Postby Vania » October 7th, 2010, 5:25 pm

Hi guys!

So, my game is almost finished. (just remaking the tutorial, final adjustments)
http://games.mochiads.com/c/g/overwatch ... secure.swf
Now I'm trying to think of ways to actually make money with it.

I usually just license my games using the FGL site, and add a preloader ad for extra income.
But will a sponsor license a game knowing there's a monthly fee for the service?
How do you think that would work?

The other option would be to add mochi-coins or some other microtransactions service, and sell the registration for 1$ or so, then registered users would get stats tracking, ads removed, and maybe a level editor along the way.

That's all I can think of, any more ideas or suggestions?
Vania

Re: Suggestions on monetizing my game

Postby Benjaminsen » October 7th, 2010, 7:35 pm

I would definitely post it to FGL to see how much you would be able to sell it for. It's a great game and I expect you would be able to get quite a lot. PM me the url when its up there and I will send it around to our contacts as well.

I did a lot of talking to sponsors when we first released and most of them had no problem paying for the server hosting as long as they where made aware of this cost when sponsoring.

Regarding micro transactions, it depends on how you count on interacting with the game in the future. If your aim is to do a one off payment and then start working on another game, I would not suggest micro transactions. On the other hand if you are ready to continuously update the game over the next months micro transactions might be a very good idea.

I personally play around with MT in Everybody Edits and have an eCPM on them on about 7.5usd, very much worth it!

Also MT and Sponsorship might not be mutually exclusive, for some sponsors (those with MT systems) it might actually be a value added feature.

If you choose to do MT, do get in contact with me at chris at player.io and we will help you get that started..
Benjaminsen
.IO

Postby Vania » October 30th, 2010, 6:09 am

The game hasnt got any attention in FGL so far.
But thats cool I'm gonna use PayVault now that its out.

So far my idea is to keep the game free for everyone, but only allow people to play as guests.
Then if you pay and register you get:
-ad removal
-stats tracking
-a ladder (where you can see your stats, rank, and the stats of other players)
-a level editor (which I'm working on)
-ability to save up to 5 levels in the database, and browse user made levels. (guests will be able to join matches on user made maps, but cannot start them)
-ability to vote on user made maps.

-I'm thinking about the possibility of making exclusive unit(s), would that be a good idea? It would be an incentive to buy, but may be seen as unfair.

Registering would cost 5$.

My game uses little bandwidth, about 1k/s (or 0k/s when Stratus can establish connection) so I'm hoping it wont be hard to stay profitable.
Vania

Postby nirza » October 31st, 2010, 9:32 am

you can add exclusive units but make it so that only paying players can play with them against each other.
nirza

Return to Monetization