Forum Sitebox Best template for a multiplayer seedlings ?

Discussion and help relating to the PlayerIO webpage and Facebook app hosting solution, Sitebox.

Best template for a multiplayer seedlings ?

Postby Ahu » September 7th, 2012, 8:24 am

Hello I have spent the last weeks exploring all of player.io, I read the turorial, dissected most docs refs and the examples given. The most interesting of all for me is the seedlings example however I noticed that its not using the prefered server-based code on Csharp for making the game "secured" and room based multiplayer. In fact they seem pretty different and I cannot seem to pinpoint in the seedlings example how the client achieves secured BigDB access ; it seems to be using the databaseObject actionscript class which is called in the game.as main file ? Could anyone explain this in detail ?

Is there anyway to easily "adapt" the seedlings example in a multiplayer scenario ?

What I really need to know is should I start from scratch and try to fit in all of the neat seedlings features one by one or modify the seedlings example with multiplayer functions ? Then only use "server side operations" pertaining to game logic and leave the rest (invites and graph API) to the client ?

Do you get what I mean ? I am sorry if my syntax isn't so good I am not speaking english natively :)
Ahu
Paid Member

Re: Best template for a multiplayer seedlings ?

Postby Benjaminsen » September 7th, 2012, 1:36 pm

The seedlings example is not implemented as secure. The reason for this is that it's a purely single player game. Thus enforcing security makes little sense as users could just hack the game client regardless.

However, it's a nice feature request to have an example of a serverside controlled asynchronous multiplayer game.
Benjaminsen
.IO

Postby Ahu » September 12th, 2012, 4:14 am

So basically what is my best choice ? to adapt the seeldings example or to start from fridgemagnets and add facebook functionality ?
Ahu
Paid Member

Postby Benjaminsen » September 15th, 2012, 6:30 pm

Ahu wrote:So basically what is my best choice ? to adapt the seeldings example or to start from fridgemagnets and add facebook functionality ?

I suggest you start out with the FridgeMagnets game.
Benjaminsen
.IO

Postby Ahu » September 19th, 2012, 3:01 am

If I do most of the work, do you agree we should build step by step a tutorial on how to achieve this ? Opensource ? :ugeek:

I might just need a hint now and then, I'll be starting right away.
Ahu
Paid Member

Postby Benjaminsen » September 19th, 2012, 2:04 pm

Ahu wrote:If I do most of the work, do you agree we should build step by step a tutorial on how to achieve this ? Opensource ? :ugeek:

I might just need a hint now and then, I'll be starting right away.

A guide would be great! I am sure quite a lot of people would appreciate it. Regarding help, simply ask on the forums and we and other users will get to it ASAP.
Benjaminsen
.IO

Postby Ahu » September 21st, 2012, 8:59 am

So yes I followed your advice and figured it all by myself (because the get started tutorial really stops short of being live, it only covers server side)

So I have already a nice little tutorial on how to run it up to the test server which is on playsian.com (from sitebox setup page)

I uploaded the flash files once recompiled from flash, and the html "wrapper" and it works fine !

Then it says to get a DNS domain ? Can't I have a simple mygame.playerio.com ?

What would be the logical next step ? Assuming the result will be on facebook ? should I try to adapt the seelings tutorial ? should I first start with the tic-tac-toe ? I have explored many options but its really hard for me to get an idea with my very basic programming knowledge.

Thanks in advance !
Ahu
Paid Member

Postby Benjaminsen » September 21st, 2012, 10:33 am

Ahu wrote:So yes I followed your advice and figured it all by myself (because the get started tutorial really stops short of being live, it only covers server side)

So I have already a nice little tutorial on how to run it up to the test server which is on playsian.com (from sitebox setup page)

I uploaded the flash files once recompiled from flash, and the html "wrapper" and it works fine !

Then it says to get a DNS domain ? Can't I have a simple mygame.playerio.com ?

What would be the logical next step ? Assuming the result will be on facebook ? should I try to adapt the seelings tutorial ? should I first start with the tic-tac-toe ? I have explored many options but its really hard for me to get an idea with my very basic programming knowledge.

Thanks in advance !

To host a Facebook application you do not need a domain, you can simply go ahead and setup the Facebook application using the guide tutorial under SiteBox.

For secure backend, tic-tac-toe is not a bad place to start :)
Benjaminsen
.IO

Postby Ahu » September 21st, 2012, 9:40 pm

Superb I will get right on it ! so there is another thing I am wondering, this morning I loaded the test server by pressing reload on my browsers, and the fridge magnets had reset ? is this a normal occurance with the test servers ?
Ahu
Paid Member

Return to Sitebox