Forum Sitebox How can I test SiteBox??

Discussion and help relating to the PlayerIO webpage and Facebook app hosting solution, Sitebox.

How can I test SiteBox??

Postby mrgreen » April 7th, 2011, 1:59 pm

Hi I was wondering how can I test and develop for the SiteBox feature?

As far as I understood sitebox is just a Php Website hosted by playerIO?
And I know you can download the Seedlings example app, so i was just thinking perhaps uploading it under my own domain, to do some live tests and complete the dev cycle that way? Is this possible?

(as otherwise I would have to sign up for the paid $25/month 'Plus' service as the 'Free' level does not support Sitebox ??)

Martin
mrgreen

Re: How can I test SiteBox??

Postby Benjaminsen » April 7th, 2011, 2:05 pm

Sitebox is not PHP based but provides you with a simple template based development environment for Facebook applications.

As with PayVault you won't be able to access it without having a paid plan.
You can however get a fair idea about how the system work by viewing this introduction: http://playerio.com/showcase/seedlings-sitebox-example/
Benjaminsen
.IO

Postby mrgreen » April 7th, 2011, 2:35 pm

Thanks I've already seen that!

But, as a Feature request...

I think it would be definitely a very good idea, to add a way for the devs to be able to test and learn to develop for both PayVault and SiteBox without having to sign up for a paid plan.

it shouldnt be too difficult, just make payments happen in a sandbox, and perhaps restrict the SiteBox site to 1 IP address that can access it. as otherwise you are asking money from the devs just for the privilage to be able to learn your software!
mrgreen

Postby jasonMcIntosh » April 8th, 2011, 4:23 am

$25 isn't that much to ask for a month of time to learn? If you're serious, it should be possible to pay that. And the API isn't complex (judging from the docs), so it won't take that much to learn it.

If you start to develop with it, then you are "using" it, and it's reasonable to ask for a fee for that service.

But besides that, you won't find a cheaper offer with the same features anywhere. I've looked! :)
Jason McIntosh
Otherwhere Gameworks
jasonMcIntosh

Postby mrgreen » April 8th, 2011, 12:42 pm

Its a matter of principle. Would you buy a car if you needed to pay $25 just to see it or test drive it in the showroom? According to your logic If you are serious maybe you would? but its also inevitable that you will loose a % if potential customers that would otherwise convert, as they expect test drives to be free, as its a form of advertisement for the service not a service in itself.

Most commercial web CMS software allow a fully functional version to be installed that will be restricted to a range of IP addresses, so the dev can learn to design for it. Considering the amount of effort it takes to set up a sandbox, or restrict IP ranges for a site to be loaded, I think it would be well worth the effort.
mrgreen

Postby mrgreen » April 8th, 2011, 12:49 pm

Or maybe have a single publicly available SiteBox that devs can access via FTP and upload files and test it, and this would reset maybe in every 2 hours. I've seen this countless of times.

Although having a dedicated sandbox would be preferable, as you may not want all the other devs to know what site you are designing.
mrgreen

Postby Benjaminsen » April 8th, 2011, 12:57 pm

Again, we simply decided that some features are for paid members only. In the set are FTP upload for GameFS, Sitebox and PayVault but there will be more in the future. Charging for the services allows us to have better support on those and serious users should have no issue finding 25$ per month to work with the service.

When that is said I have awarded you 10days of free Plus so you can have a quick test of the system.
Benjaminsen
.IO

Postby mrgreen » April 8th, 2011, 1:37 pm

That is very much appreciated :) Thanks Benjaminsen
mrgreen

Return to Sitebox