Forum Sitebox Facebook Story Posts Slow

Discussion and help relating to the PlayerIO webpage and Facebook app hosting solution, Sitebox.

Facebook Story Posts Slow

Postby azuanagames » January 12th, 2011, 3:55 pm

Hello,

I have to ask if there is any way to speed up the Facebook story post system. My users are reporting that they either:

1) Never get the post UI to show up
2) The UI shows up with the LOADING... but never loads
3) The story doesn't seem to get posted

I realize that the player.io Facebook AS3 classes use the JS on the sitebox page, but is there a way to bypass that with our own code that posts the story directly to Facebook?

Is this limited to sitebox sites? I don't use Facebook enough to know...
azuanagames

Re: Facebook Story Posts Slow

Postby Oliver » January 12th, 2011, 4:24 pm

Hey there,

Welcome to the exiting world of building facebook apps. You spend a ton of time trying to shoehorn the facebook platform to do as you want it to.

Our AS3 classes simply call the facebook javascript embedded in the page (as you mention yourself). The call from As3 to JS is instant, but the javascript might take arbitrarily long time to process depending on Facebooks current server load etc.

I don't think it's possible to present the dialog to the user any faster, since it's Facebook itself that's slow.

However, you can use your app to ask for one of the publish permissions from Facebook and then use the FB.api() method directly to post items using the Facebook Graph API.

- Oliver
Oliver
.IO

Postby azuanagames » January 12th, 2011, 6:11 pm

However, you can use your app to ask for one of the publish permissions from Facebook and then use the FB.api() method directly to post items using the Facebook Graph API.

Sounds great. Can you give me a simple example of the api command to use? Or any pointers where I should look? I'm assuming I need to go to the Facebook developer site? (Which is quite horrible btw...)

#EDIT
Guess it's this one: http://developers.facebook.com/docs/ref ... ipt/FB.api
I'll see if I can do what I need to do with this function.
#EDIT
#EDIT2
This helps:
http://developers.facebook.com/docs/reference/api/post
#EDIT2
azuanagames

Postby Oliver » January 13th, 2011, 11:59 am

:D
Oliver
.IO

Return to Sitebox