Forum GameFS GameFS

Discussion and help relating to the PlayerIO game asset hosting and CDN solution, GameFS.

GameFS

Postby fox1980 » July 30th, 2010, 2:44 pm

Thumbs up for the new feature. I was thinking to myself just a couple of days ago that somewhere down the road i would have to find a CDN to host my assets and here it is. Do you guys read minds ?

I was checking it out and i was wondering, is it fully deployed now ?
I'm getting some weird errors on my FTP client (filezilla), when i'm uploading some files i get this message in the log:

Command: PASV
Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (77,66,63,117,228,137).
Command: STOR counter.png
Response: 125 Data connection already open; transfer starting
Error: Could not write to transfer socket: ECONNRESET - Connection reset by peer

The FTP client then enters a loop trying to resend the file, but always returns that error message. When viewing the file in the control panel, it says the file is there though, the filesize matches the one on my filesystem, but when i try to view it nothing comes up, this is the url i get from the control panel:

http://cdn.playerio.com/iso-po3cihvss0wvzta7imwmra/assets/counter.png

Some other files don't return any errors, but i can't view them either in the browser.
fox1980

Re: GameFS

Postby nirza » July 30th, 2010, 5:23 pm

nothing in pic
nirza

Postby Benjaminsen » July 30th, 2010, 9:31 pm

Sounds strange, we are looking into it. Does uploading via the web interface work?
Benjaminsen
.IO

Postby fox1980 » July 31st, 2010, 3:36 am

Ok, i think i found out some more info. The file size is NOT the same afterall, my bad. It seems every file larger than 8KB sent through FTP are being trimmed. This is a screenshot of the web interface panel, files smaller than 8KB are working ok.
(I also noticed that everytime i start an FTP upload a new "up one level" icon shows up in the web interface, the things that says ".. (ISO)", it gets corrected if i refresh the browser so it's no biggie )

Files sent trough the web interface are working fine regardless of file size.
fox1980

Postby Oliver » August 2nd, 2010, 10:35 am

Hey Foxy Fox Fox :-)

The 8Kb limit was a bug that has been fixed. I don't understand how it got through testing, but it's gone now :-)

I can't reproduce the bug with the WebUI that you're mentioning. I did the following
a) Create an assets folder, and go into it with the WebUI
b) Open up ftp and start uploading files to the assets folder
c) Expect multiple "... (main level)" folders to appear.

Can you tell me what i'm doing wrong?

Best,
Oliver
Oliver
.IO

Postby fox1980 » August 2nd, 2010, 2:10 pm

I tought it had something to do with uploading trough FTP cause it happened while i was doing it, but it got nothing to do with it. I did a couple more tests and found a way to replicate it, you just have to click the root folder, then enter any sub-folder, go back to the root folder and again to a sub-folder and it will show 2 "up one level" icons.

I put a video on youtube in case the explanation is confusing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2tBmP9tTZs

This happens in both Internet Explorer 8 and Firefox 3.6
fox1980

Postby Oliver » August 2nd, 2010, 3:44 pm

Hey Fox,

Thanks for the video -- it helped a lot.

In fact, it's already been fixed for next release :-)

Best,
Oliver
Oliver
.IO

Postby fox1980 » August 2nd, 2010, 4:18 pm

You're welcome.

I've been doing some speed tests comparing GameFS with a cheap shared hosting provider (godaddy), and i found some weird results. It seemed that for small file sizes (<100KB) godaddy was almost twice as fast, but for big files it was the other way around. I'm using this third-party tool to measure loading speed :

http://www.iwebtool.com/speed_test

I don't know how accurate the test is, but i got consistent results with it. Here's one of many tests i've done.

Small file:

Big file:

Is GameFS optimized for larger files, or could this tool be biased ? If so, what's an accurate way of comparing speeds with a web hosting provider ?
fox1980

Postby Benjaminsen » August 2nd, 2010, 4:28 pm

You are using your redirect URL for your speed test. The redirect url is guaranteed to always be up to date but will make a redirect from our servers to the actual CDN url - IE two HTTP requests instead of one.

When you GameFS via the API methods it does not use the redirect service, thus in reality it should be much faster.

Testing with your specific example towards the real CDN url gave me the following result:
Benjaminsen
.IO

Postby fox1980 » August 2nd, 2010, 4:59 pm

That makes a lot of sense and explains why the smaller files took longer, but you said the API doesn't use the redirect service. Does that mean the API is not guaranteed to always have the latest version ?
fox1980

Postby Toby » August 2nd, 2010, 5:17 pm

I assume the API just looks up the direct link for the newest file. The permalink which you get given is a cleaner url which then translates to the proper file location.
Toby

Postby Benjaminsen » August 2nd, 2010, 5:23 pm

When the API initializes it retrieves a list of where the newest versions of your files can be found. Thus the game will always use the newest version of your files except in the case where you upload a new version after having already initialized the API.
Benjaminsen
.IO

Return to GameFS