Forum GameFS Weird things with the Resource usage

Discussion and help relating to the PlayerIO game asset hosting and CDN solution, GameFS.

Weird things with the Resource usage

Postby LorenzGames » December 1st, 2010, 1:26 am

So, on the GameFS I have my game which is 500kb and some other files, very small file size.
Now from the resource usage manager I can see that i am using a bandwidth of 500mb per day in the average?
for example yesterday it was 506.04 MB with 36731 requests and a total size of 10.05 MB (What this means?)
How this is possible? since yesterday i have had only 350 visits the entire day and some of them were the same person relogging, i thought that file were somehow stored in the cache and not reloaded each time.

Anyway, i was doing some calculation and i imagined a possible scenario of a game with graphics, sounds and music, would be an average size of 5mb. that means that with the plus account the game can only get a maximum of 40k plays per month?
LorenzGames
Paid Member

Re: Weird things with the Resource usage

Postby azuanagames » December 1st, 2010, 5:17 pm

I think total size is the total of what you have stored in GameFS.
azuanagames

Postby LorenzGames » December 1st, 2010, 5:43 pm

but how is it possible? I dont have 10 mb...
LorenzGames
Paid Member

Postby azuanagames » December 1st, 2010, 7:34 pm

Think about all the versions of your game, you sure? Let me double check my usage...

Looks like that's it, it seems to be counting the last few versions of each file in GameFS, which makes total sense.
Last edited by azuanagames on December 1st, 2010, 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
azuanagames

Postby LorenzGames » December 1st, 2010, 7:38 pm

Yep i didnt know it was also counting the old revision of the game...
LorenzGames
Paid Member

Postby Oliver » December 2nd, 2010, 3:56 pm

If a user presses reload in the browser or F5 or Ctrl-F5, browsers will *always* ditch their cached version and download the latest version. Can't be avoided.

Regarding the calculation: you can choose not to use GameFS to distribute your game. There are many cheeper ways of distributing a .swf file (like nonoba or mochi). It's a choice between power/flexibility and price.

- Oliver
Oliver
.IO

Return to GameFS