Forum GameFS Webservice traffic

Discussion and help relating to the PlayerIO game asset hosting and CDN solution, GameFS.

Webservice traffic

Postby LorenzGames » October 30th, 2010, 2:33 am

In the bandwidth usage i read: Webservice traffic, Data received and data sent.
Is Webservice traffic the traffic related to the files on the GameFS?
If yes, where can i find a detailed stats on what file is generating more webservice traffic?
LorenzGames
Paid Member

Re: Webservice traffic

Postby Henrik » October 31st, 2010, 10:48 am

No, GameFS traffic is counted separately.

We're still tuning the detailed resource usage view, and adding a breakdown of specific files seems like a great idea, we'll definitely kick that around a bit.
Henrik
.IO

Postby LorenzGames » October 31st, 2010, 12:31 pm

So what is exactly in Webservice traffic? Mine is already at 35 MB with only few users every day.
LorenzGames
Paid Member

Postby default0 » October 31st, 2010, 1:20 pm

LorenzGames wrote:So what is exactly in Webservice traffic? Mine is already at 35 MB with only few users every day.

As far as I know, Webservice Traffic is all the calls to webservices of Player.IO:
-BigDB
-Connecting to and listing Rooms
-Writing to ErrorLog

I probably have missed some, but I guess BigDB is the one that matters most anyways ;)

Best regards
Try to play my Game: -->BlackGalaxy<--
default0

Postby LorenzGames » October 31st, 2010, 2:19 pm

But that doesnt really explain the 35 MB... and also i am getting another 8 mb in data sent and some others in data recieved... I am kinda confused on this point becouse doing my calculation at this rate when i will add the sounds to my game i can only have a maximum of 1 or 2k users per day... That is maybe barely gonna cover the cost of the of PLUS subscription... what is the point then in making a game?
LorenzGames
Paid Member

Postby default0 » October 31st, 2010, 2:43 pm

LorenzGames wrote:But that doesnt really explain the 35 MB... and also i am getting another 8 mb in data sent and some others in data recieved... I am kinda confused on this point becouse doing my calculation at this rate when i will add the sounds to my game i can only have a maximum of 1 or 2k users per day... That is maybe barely gonna cover the cost of the of PLUS subscription... what is the point then in making a game?

Well, if you call dbObj.save() often, have many connects/disconnects from & to rooms, list a bunch of rooms with lots of data on them or your code throws many errors (or you write a lot of errors yourself) the 35 MB may be reasonable.
Actually your game gets (on free package) 7,7 KB/sec for allowed traffic, if you do a good job optimizing your protocol you can run your game a while with the 20 GB/month.

As I don't know how your game is set up I have no clue if the 35 MB or other stuff is actually reasonable
default0

Postby LorenzGames » October 31st, 2010, 2:47 pm

Yea I tried the optimize the best I could thats why I dont explain the 35 MB...
So where are stated the GameFS traffics?
LorenzGames
Paid Member

Postby default0 » October 31st, 2010, 2:50 pm

LorenzGames wrote:Yea I tried the optimize the best I could thats why I dont explain the 35 MB...
So where are stated the GameFS traffics?

I guess they will be shown in the detailed section thingy once it is out, I cannot see them right now, too.
Anyways, maybe you failed at some point in your src that causes a bunch of traffic, I don't know. My best bet is that you have messed up with optimization at some point.

Best regards
default0

Postby LorenzGames » October 31st, 2010, 3:16 pm

Yea a guess but I am still confused about the other 2 parameters, data sent and recived... what are those about?

I Can read speficifally

Data received: (data sent from a game client to a game server) 12MB
Data sent: (data sent from a game server to a game client + sitebox traffic) 2MB
Webservice Traffic: (requests to the Player.IO webservice: connect, joinroom etc.) 35MB

Now i can understand the data received at 12mb but... webservice at 35 for connect and join room with only 2 or 3 users connected looks way too big.
LorenzGames
Paid Member

Postby default0 » October 31st, 2010, 5:08 pm

LorenzGames wrote:Yea a guess but I am still confused about the other 2 parameters, data sent and recived... what are those about?

I Can read speficifally

Data received: (data sent from a game client to a game server) 12MB
Data sent: (data sent from a game server to a game client + sitebox traffic) 2MB
Webservice Traffic: (requests to the Player.IO webservice: connect, joinroom etc.) 35MB

Now i can understand the data received at 12mb but... webservice at 35 for connect and join room with only 2 or 3 users connected looks way too big.

Webservice is not only about connecting and joining, as I said, bigDB also goes into the webservice traffic. My best bet is that you are saving a bunch of stuff or have a very unoptimized saving system.

Best regards
default0

Postby LorenzGames » October 31st, 2010, 7:56 pm

Nope actually i only have 21 little objects right now in my DB.
LorenzGames
Paid Member

Postby default0 » October 31st, 2010, 8:23 pm

LorenzGames wrote:Nope actually i only have 21 little objects right now in my DB.

Then I don't know. I guess once the detailed traffic useage view is out you will see where your traffic comes from ;)

Best regards
default0

Postby Oliver » November 1st, 2010, 6:56 pm

Hey

Webservice traffic is *all* communication from your game (client-side and server-side code) to our webservice. This includes
listing rooms, creating rooms, creating/loading/saving BigDB objects, the various PayVault methods etc...

It does not include traffic from clients to multiplayer games (everthing sent back and forward with .send() and .broadcast())

It does also not include traffic from GameFS. That's counted separately.

Soon we'll launch a resource usage page where you can see more detailed usage information.

If you do any sort of polling of BigDB objects or simliar, that might cause a lot of traffic.

Best,
Oliver
Oliver
.IO

Postby LorenzGames » November 2nd, 2010, 3:15 am

Well I really cant explain that amount of data. When will it be released the detailed info about traffic?
LorenzGames
Paid Member

Postby Oliver » November 2nd, 2010, 12:12 pm

"soon".

It won't give you more detail about what the individual webservice calls are. Just how much was sent/recv'd each day.

- Oliver
Oliver
.IO

Postby fox1980 » November 2nd, 2010, 2:25 pm

Something similar happened to me once, it turned out i was refreshing the roomlist too often (like once per second). Check your loops, maybe you have something inside a loop that's running too often, and also remember that even when you use the development serve,r tough it doesn't consume send/receive traffic it still consumes webservice traffic, so if you're constantly starting/stopping your application to debug you may be the one causing it.
fox1980

Postby -Mani » November 3rd, 2010, 2:36 pm

Hey,

I have onther question:

At the free package it only allows a maximum traffic of 7,7kb/s ??
Really?
or is that only for a room??

that would be deadly for my game... :o

best regards!
-Mani
Paid Member

Postby Oliver » November 3rd, 2010, 3:03 pm

We have no restriction on bandwidth pr second available to free games.

You just cant send/recv more than 20 gigabytes pr month on the free plan.

Best,
Oliver
Oliver
.IO

Postby -Mani » November 3rd, 2010, 3:49 pm

phew, I started making worries about that! :)

btw, player.io RULES THE WORLD!

best regards!
-Mani
Paid Member

Postby fox1980 » November 3rd, 2010, 3:50 pm

Where did you see that 7.7kbs limitation anyway ?
fox1980

Postby -Mani » November 3rd, 2010, 4:02 pm

default0 wrote:Well, if you call dbObj.save() often, have many connects/disconnects from & to rooms, list a bunch of rooms with lots of data on them or your code throws many errors (or you write a lot of errors yourself) the 35 MB may be reasonable.
Actually your game gets (on free package) 7,7 KB/sec for allowed traffic, if you do a good job optimizing your protocol you can run your game a while with the 20 GB/month.

As I don't know how your game is set up I have no clue if the 35 MB or other stuff is actually reasonable

Seems like I misunderstood that again :lol:
-Mani
Paid Member

Postby default0 » November 3rd, 2010, 4:06 pm

fox1980 wrote:Where did you see that 7.7kbs limitation anyway ?

20 GB pr mont (30 days)
-> /30 0,66666666 GB pr day
0,6666666 / 24 GB pr hour (0.02777777777 GB pr hour)
0.0277777777 / 3600 GB pr seconds and this is around 7.7 KB...
Anyways, this is how I got that number, Player.IO does in general not limit this but you can use this amount pr second within your limit of 20 GB pr month
default0

Postby -Mani » November 3rd, 2010, 4:17 pm

AAAHH!!!

thank you default0!
I always searched for that!
you rock! ;)
-Mani
Paid Member

Postby default0 » November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm

-Mani wrote:AAAHH!!!

thank you default0!
I always searched for that!
you rock! ;)

youre welcome ;)

Best regards
default0

Postby LorenzGames » November 4th, 2010, 3:10 am

Calling the list room every 5 seconds could be an explanation?
Otherwise how could i keep the room list updated in the game without using so many resources?
LorenzGames
Paid Member

Postby Benjaminsen » November 4th, 2010, 9:24 am

LorenzGames wrote:Calling the list room every 5 seconds could be an explanation?
Otherwise how could i keep the room list updated in the game without using so many resources?

Generally you do not need to refresh the lobby live. What functionality are you trying to build? If you want something that is 100% live you should implement it as a special server type.
Benjaminsen
.IO

Postby LorenzGames » November 4th, 2010, 4:32 pm

i was simply trying to get the room listing updated... because users can create or delete rooms... so the room lists always changes.
What you mean a server type? a server type to simply list a couple of rooms?
LorenzGames
Paid Member

Postby Henrik » December 1st, 2010, 10:27 am

The resource usage page is now released, you can find it in the admin panel under each game. We hope this will help you understand and optimize your games a bit better. :-)
Henrik
.IO

Postby default0 » December 1st, 2010, 4:24 pm

Henrik wrote:The resource usage page is now released, you can find it in the admin panel under each game. We hope this will help you understand and optimize your games a bit better. :-)

Just checked it - Epic!

Omg you guys rule, I can finally start to optimize my game properly instead of guessing around what causes most traffic :)

Best regards
default0

Return to GameFS