Forum QuickConnect Cannot connect when UseSecureApiRequests is true

Discussion and help relating to PlayerIO's QuickConnect feature, including Facebook Connect and Kongregate Connect.

Cannot connect when UseSecureApiRequests is true

Postby aadarsh » September 11th, 2015, 3:45 am

My client programs (Unity and a separate .Net C# app) can no longer log in via QuickConnect (I haven't tried others) when I set PlayerIO.UseSecureApiRequests to true. I think the error is serverside since we didn't change anything and it used to work. The errors are either ssl timing out or the ssl protocol erroring out. Anything we can do? Is anyone else aware of or experiencing this issue?
aadarsh

Re: Cannot connect when UseSecureApiRequests is true

Postby Guillaume » September 11th, 2015, 1:50 pm

I know that if you use "UseSecureApiRequests " and "UseSSLConnection" (something like that, used for ServerSide connection), you will be unable to connect.

However if you use "UseSecureApiRequests ", your ServerSide game will be in SSL btw.
So you only need to activate "UseSecureApiRequests " if you want to use SSL globally.
Guillaume

Postby aadarsh » September 11th, 2015, 10:23 pm

Hmm I see.
We've set both PlayerIO.UseSecureApiRequests and Multiplayer.DevelopmentServer to true for quite a few months without issues.
So you're saying that if I set PlayerIO.UseSecureApiRequests to true, then EVERYTHING is secure, including the connection to the multiplayer server? The only services I'm using clientside are QuickConnect, Multiplayer, and GameFS.
aadarsh

Postby Guillaume » September 11th, 2015, 10:50 pm

I think it would be ok.

If you are using the AS3 implementation, you can also verify this behavior by looking at the protocol used for sending packet, on your browser you must see HTTPS request callbacks.

If you are using the C# implementation, well, i think the best way is to use something like Wireshark to sniff your packet and seeing if they are encrypted. Maybe there is better tools suited for this.

I can't be totally sure. I have posted this error on the forum in January here (Look at my last post in the thread) : viewtopic.php?f=37&t=35856&p=49036&hilit=SSL+Guillaume&sid=641bb2b63d82fdc3fe4b1401b3d4c649#p49036

But no answer at the moment.
Guillaume

Postby aadarsh » September 11th, 2015, 11:23 pm

Thanks for your responses, I'll try running Wireshark later on to check the encryption.
aadarsh

Postby aadarsh » September 14th, 2015, 8:18 pm

I ran Wireshark, and here is what I found:
PlayerIO.UseSecureApiRequests encrypts the general yahoo requests, but it does not encrypt the messages to/from Multiplayer.
Multiplayer.UseSecureConnections does encrypt messages to/from Multiplayer.
So, PlayerIO.UseSecureApiRequests is not enough to encrypt multiplayer messages. You need to set Multiplayer.UseSecureConnections to true.

Also, I just realized I've accidentally been saying 'Multiplayer.DevelopmentServer' in previous posts but I actually meant 'Multiplayer.UseSecureConnections'
aadarsh

Postby Guillaume » September 14th, 2015, 9:01 pm

Really ?
Do you have tested with the real server connection or from the development server ?

Henrik, can you confirm this, if you come here, or validate that there is something to fix in PlayerIO API ?

Also, all SSL services seems to be down actually, and no one at PlayerIO has done something about it.
Guillaume

Postby aadarsh » September 14th, 2015, 9:32 pm

I tested using the real server. And I was actually able to connect for a bit.
SSL does indeed seem to be down again...
aadarsh

Postby Guillaume » September 14th, 2015, 10:21 pm

I will do some test when the things will be retablished.
Guillaume

Postby Henrik » September 15th, 2015, 5:40 pm

Currently a single game is going a bit nuts and accidentally DDOSing our HTTPS endpoints intermittently. We're working on isolating the game and fixing the problem, but for now, don't use HTTPS, so keep UseSecureApiRequests set to false.
Henrik
.IO

Postby Guillaume » September 15th, 2015, 5:44 pm

Thanks for the info Henrik :) !
I coded an automatic Fallback SSL to No SSL if there is a SSL error on the SSL endpoint on my project to avoid this problem in the future eventually.
Guillaume

Return to QuickConnect