Forum QuickConnect Delete Account/ Change Password/Change Name

Discussion and help relating to PlayerIO's QuickConnect feature, including Facebook Connect and Kongregate Connect.

Delete Account/ Change Password/Change Name

Postby ASH1138 » January 27th, 2013, 5:50 am

How can players delete accounts?

Lets say I mistakenly signed up as "ASH" and screwed up that account. Now I want to begin anew, by signing in as "ASH" again, but now its blocked because that user name is already taken!

Also, if many players re-create multiple accounts again and again like emails, and not use them, the bigDB object limit can be exceeded by their trashed playerObjects alone!
In case that happens, it won't be fair to the players if I had to go over to the admin panel and delete some accounts! I may delete an account someone is already using! :|

An account expiry system is also useful. ;). If majority players play as guests I can exceed the limit easily, but with relatively few consistent players. Thing is, I dont know where to put that code. Obviously it has to be on the server, but then again, how can I detect if an account has expired if someone has never logged in thru that account and created a game?
:idea: I think a global housekeeping server can be due.

Also, how do players change passwords , login names and email addresses?Players wont want to redo their account again simply because they have used a new email and/or forgot their password! :?
ASH1138

Re: Delete Account/ Change Password/Change Name

Postby dreamora » January 28th, 2013, 7:45 am

You will have to create a 'cron client' / 'service client', basically a client that runs every now and then, goes through all accounts and removes those that expired including their other garbage which you might have around.
This client would use a different connection than the normal client (requires a subscription), so you can grant this connection full modification rights for the DB to change it.

You can not do it on the server (at least not reasonably) as the server only runs code for a player when its online. You can not run player and room independent maintenance code in a cron job / service job alike manner.

The benefit of such a client is that you can expand upon it and use it for backup - restore database capabilities too and alike for example.
dreamora

Postby ASH1138 » January 28th, 2013, 9:36 am

dreamora wrote:You will have to create a 'cron client' / 'service client', basically a client that runs every now and then, goes through all accounts and removes those that expired including their other garbage which you might have around.
This client would use a different connection than the normal client (requires a subscription), so you can grant this connection full modification rights for the DB to change it.

You can not do it on the server (at least not reasonably) as the server only runs code for a player when its online. You can not run player and room independent maintenance code in a cron job / service job alike manner.

The benefit of such a client is that you can expand upon it and use it for backup - restore database capabilities too and alike for example.

The downside is that I have to pay money for the client. How much would that cost? Several hundred dollars, my own server? I'd might as well sign up for private servers in Enterprise plan! :?
ASH1138

Postby dreamora » January 28th, 2013, 12:59 pm

It will cost a bit of money but not much.

What you will surely need is at least the $25/month subscription and a handfull of hours to write it.

But to execute the client itself you have the following options at very least:

1. You could even run it as a background app in one of your dev machines that constantly run for sure for example. If you have an old box thats not being used anyway you could even use that as a permanent thing on your companies internet connection. Its not like this client will do much or require real power. All it does is load through all playerobjects every now and then, look if 'last login < date.now - grace period' and then delete the accounts or flag them and send them a warning about the upcoming delete and then delete it once the delta is > delete period.
2. You could see if ASP.NET really works and use an ultra cheap / free Microsoft Azure instance. If your webhost offers ASP.NET then you can do it even for free

Given that you seem to create an MMO, the server costs really will become far less relevant than you think as you will need to get something scaleable cloudy anyway to adopt to load and player numbers, compared to that and old, otherwise out of order, box that just runs to run the client at predefined times from your companies netwo
dreamora

Return to QuickConnect