Forum QuickConnect Synchronizing between systems

Discussion and help relating to PlayerIO's QuickConnect feature, including Facebook Connect and Kongregate Connect.

Synchronizing between systems

Postby MentalFish » November 8th, 2011, 5:06 pm

If a game is published across various sites (FB, Kongregate, its own site and iOS), what would be the best way to ensure that a user can get their game progress synced between these sites/systems? I.e. I might start the game as a Facebook user, but want to play it at a later stage as either a Kongregate user or on an iOS/Android device.

One thought I had was to make the player create a SimpleUser account and then re-login with that user id while logged in at Kongregate/Facebook, and sync the data to the SimpleUser ID. Would this approach be the way to go?

Semi-off-topic: Any Game Center / OpenFeint plans for Player.IO?
MentalFish

Re: Synchronizing between systems

Postby Oliver » November 9th, 2011, 10:51 am

Hey MentalFish (a fish gone mental, how delightfully zane :-)

We don't currently offer any automized way of having users login to the same underlying accounts from different login stores as you're describing. This means that you'll have to design a solution around the primitives we supply that'll work for you.

What you're proposing sounds like a fine solution; Although I don't understand why you want to 'sync the data to the simpleuserid". If the user logs in with the same account in two places, it's the same user, and there's no need to sync any data.

- Oliver

GameCenter/OpenFaint: Not directly... what are you looking for?
Oliver
.IO

Re: Synchronizing between systems

Postby MentalFish » November 9th, 2011, 11:22 am

Yupp, a fish gone mental :D

Sure, if I can get Facebook login to work outside of a Facebook scenario (such as on an iOS device) then that would be an option instead of syncing accounts. It just seems all platforms demand that we use their login and/or payment solution, to be allowed on there. I.e. Kongregate insist we only use their Kreds, Facebook seems to be moving towards the same and Apple also want us to use their in app purchase solution. I was thinking that I could help a player migrate from one of these platforms to another, without them loosing their progress or coinage aquired so far.

Game Center / OpenFeint so mobile players dont have to register a new account, just use their existing iOS/Android gamer login.

So far I have managed to get in-game SimpleUsers registration and PayPal coin purchase going, and it works like a charm. I have been trying to get Facebook Credits happening, but so far no luck (using browser JavaScript + Application.ExternalCall in Unity). I don't get any error messages from Facebook, so I can't figure out why it isn't working. I'll hammer it some more before I make a request for assistance :)
MentalFish

Return to QuickConnect