Forum QuickConnect "QuickConnect for Facebook" vs "Adobe ActionScript 3 SDK"?

Discussion and help relating to PlayerIO's QuickConnect feature, including Facebook Connect and Kongregate Connect.

"QuickConnect for Facebook" vs "Adobe ActionScript 3 SDK"?

Postby mrgreen » April 13th, 2011, 5:25 pm

I am still slightly bit confused with the above, that how does your "QuickConnect for Facebook" compare with the "Adobe ActionScript 3 SDK"?

Sorry im new to both Facebook and PlayerIO so I might be asking some obviously stupid questions, but here they go:

1) They are both implementations for the same thing right? the Facebook JavaScript SDK OpenGraph API?
so PlayerIO has a whole new and Conflicting implementation of the Facebook SDK, and NOT an add on to Adobe version? Is there a reason for this?

2) It seems that the Adobe version has more features? (might be totally wrong)
Also it seems your version relies on external Javascript to interact with Facebook?
Where as the Adobe AS3 SDK, has an alternative for "FacebookDesktop.as" implementation, that could be used for instance on sites where you cant access Javascript?

Like I've noticed that to post onto the user's Wall, the PlayerIO implementation requires Javascript? Where as I think on the Adobe version you can do that without Javascript???

Also in Adobe SDK, to be able to access the user's details upon successful authentication is very simple:
Code: Select all
success.user.name;

where as with the PlayerIO version, you have to run another FB query? (maybe im wrong here, in the seedlings example i couldn't find an easy way in the "handleConnect" method to access the main user's details )

3) Is there a way to use both? Like to be able to somehow use the same access token? I suppose I need to login with PlayerIO, as that also logs into your back-end, but then somehow be able to re-use the same token and access stuff via the Adobe AS3 SDK ? Would this be possible & worthwhile ??

M
mrgreen

Re: "QuickConnect for Facebook" vs "Adobe ActionScript 3 SDK"?

Postby Henrik » April 13th, 2011, 6:24 pm

mrgreen wrote:1) They are both implementations for the same thing right?

Nope. :-D

QuickConnect for Facebook is a 3rd party player authentication service, it allows you to perform an API connect with Facebook credentials instead of for example a username + password (QuickConnect for SimpleUsers), or just a username (regular Connect), or a username + auth (Connect with auth).

You might be confusing QuickConnect for Facebook with our AS3 Facebook Graph API: https://github.com/playerio/Facebook-Graph-As3

mrgreen wrote:2) It seems that the Adobe version has more features? (might be totally wrong)
Also it seems your version relies on external Javascript to interact with Facebook?

We haven't actually looked at Adobe's version in a while, we only noticed that they hadn't switched over to the new Facebook OAuth API when we needed it, so we wrote our own. They may very well have caught up with that and beyond.

Our AS3 Facebok Graph API mirrors the official Facebook Javascript API very closely, and yes, some parts of it require that you run it on a web page that includes the Javascript API, because it spawns their official popups for asking for permissions or posting to a wall, etc.

mrgreen wrote:3) Is there a way to use both? Like to be able to somehow use the same access token? I suppose I need to login with PlayerIO, as that also logs into your back-end, but then somehow be able to re-use the same token and access stuff via the Adobe AS3 SDK ? Would this be possible & worthwhile ??

You can use whatever, the Facebook Graph API is just a webservice, and both our AS3 Graph API and Adobe's provide simple AS3 methods for accessing this. Of course you can use both at the same time if that's what you want.

If you want to use QuickConnect for Facebook to connect to Player.IO, you need a Facebook access token for the current user. How you get that token is completely up to you, QuickConnect doesn't care either way as long as it's valid.

I hope that clarified things a bit, I know it can be overwhelming since the Seedlings example uses all Player.IO services at once, and they all fit together, and that makes it hard to see where one service ends and another one starts.
Henrik
.IO

Postby mrgreen » April 13th, 2011, 7:01 pm

Okay im starting to see the light :D

So the Adobe Actionscript 3 SDK = the stuff in the Seedlings "Facebook" directory right?
- its just your own take at it.
I would probably prefer the Adobe solution, as I think over time I ll have an easier time finding tutorials and support.

So Quickconnect just finds a user in your database that matches the Facebook_access token right?? Which is completely separate from authenticating the user towards facebook.

However one part isnt entirely clear, if I want to use Adobes SDK to login, then to re-use the Token from there for Quickconnect, i need to use the "QuickConnect.facebookOAuthConnect" method right?

as the "QuickConnect.facebookOAuthConnectPopup" actually bundles the two together, the Facebook login and the PlayerIO login?

So I use the Adobe Facebook/FacebookDesktop.login method depending on where the .SWF is played, and then in BOTH cases I use the "QuickConnect.facebookOAuthConnect" with the access_token i got previously, to let PlayerIO know that I've logged on Right???
(and avoid the facebookOAuthConnectPopup method )
mrgreen

Postby Henrik » April 13th, 2011, 9:38 pm

Yes. The facebookOAuthConnectPopup is a convenience method that assumes you're in a web context, pops up Facebook's login/allow app dialog, and then does a QuickConnect with that Facebook user, which is what most people want most of the time.

But if you're not always in a web context or if you want to control the process more, then yes, the facebookOAuthConnect is the method you should use to connect the user once you've grabbed that oauth token somehow.
Henrik
.IO

Return to QuickConnect