Forum QuickConnect Connections confusion

Discussion and help relating to PlayerIO's QuickConnect feature, including Facebook Connect and Kongregate Connect.

Connections confusion

Postby wildbunny » April 7th, 2011, 10:33 am

Hi guys,

So, i'm just about to start implementing quickconnect in my game and have been looking at the documentation for connections, but i'm a little confused.

I want only the server to have write access to the database, but all the 'rights' in the edit connection section look different from the documentation.

Does the default 'public' connection represent client side connections and server-side?

Should i create another connection for server-side to enforce my rule? If so, how does the server connect to this connection?

Cheers, Paul.
wildbunny

Re: Connections confusion

Postby Benjaminsen » April 7th, 2011, 12:10 pm

The multiplayer server always has 100% access to everything as it's a trusted resource.
Benjaminsen
.IO

Postby wildbunny » April 7th, 2011, 12:14 pm

Benjaminsen wrote:The multiplayer server always has 100% access to everything as it's a trusted resource.

But what about the default 'public' connection - does that represent access from the client?

And what do the 'rights' means - particularly 'full creator rights'?

Cheers, Paul.
wildbunny

Postby Benjaminsen » April 7th, 2011, 12:24 pm

I suggest you read the documentation on connections: http://playerio.com/documentation/connections

For all players that connect you define what connection type is used, either from the QuickConnect admin interface or the API call itself.

Full creator rights means that the user who created an object can modify, save, delete etc the object regardless of the access properties on the connection.
Benjaminsen
.IO

Postby wildbunny » April 7th, 2011, 12:49 pm

Benjaminsen wrote:I suggest you read the documentation on connections: http://playerio.com/documentation/connections

For all players that connect you define what connection type is used, either from the QuickConnect admin interface or the API call itself.

Full creator rights means that the user who created an object can modify, save, delete etc the object regardless of the access properties on the connection.

I have read the documentation - what i'm saying is i still don't understand exactly how to do what it suggests:

It says, and i quote: "A common usecase is to setup the connections such that the game client is only allowed to read data, and only write data from the serverside."

But looking at the options i have available to me on the admin interface, i have no idea how to do that :|

And you still didn't answer my question about client/sever access - does the 'public' connection represent access from the client?

Cheers, Paul.
wildbunny

Postby Benjaminsen » April 7th, 2011, 1:03 pm

wildbunny wrote:And you still didn't answer my question about client/sever access - does the 'public' connection represent access from the client?

As stated:
Benjaminsen wrote:For all players that connect you define what connection type is used, either from the QuickConnect admin interface or the API call itself.

Basically you won't be able to connect to the system without specifying a connection type.
Benjaminsen
.IO

Postby wildbunny » April 7th, 2011, 1:15 pm

I know this stuff seems obvious to you, since you're totally familiar with the system - please try and put yourself in the shoes of someone who is totally unfamiliar but has read the documentation. :)

How do i achieve this: "A common usecase is to setup the connections such that the game client is only allowed to read data, and only write data from the serverside."?

Cheers, Paul.
wildbunny

Postby Benjaminsen » April 7th, 2011, 1:24 pm

As the Multiplayer server always have 100% access to everything you don't have to worry about working with that.

So let's assume that you use the 'public' connection, you would simply uncheck the access rights you don't want the connection type 'public' to be able to have.

Say in one of my games I have a connection configured to have the following access rights to the table Config. In this case connections made using the specific connection type can only Load database objects by keys.

Benjaminsen
.IO

Postby wildbunny » April 7th, 2011, 1:56 pm

Perfect :)

And so, if i just had 'Load by keys' and 'Load by indexes' checked the client would have full read only access?

Cheers, Paul.
wildbunny

Postby Benjaminsen » April 7th, 2011, 2:03 pm

wildbunny wrote:Perfect :)

And so, if i just had 'Load by keys' and 'Load by indexes' checked the client would have full read only access?

Cheers, Paul.

Yep :)
Benjaminsen
.IO

Postby cjcenizal » April 7th, 2011, 5:20 pm

Wildbunny, thanks for asking this question, and thanks for answering it, Benjaminsen. PlayerIO is a "perfect product" to me... you guys deliver an excellent, well-designed, total solutions package, and you do a great job supporting it with documentation and tutorials. But I have to admit, in this rare case, it isn't very clear what those access rights mean, or even what the different connection types are. So I found this thread very useful, too.

Perhaps in the tutorial (http://playerio.com/documentation/bigdb/example), you could add notes on why each access right is checked for each of the tables? And perhaps in the BigDB table interface, there could be small notes beneath the Access Rights panel, describing what each one does?

Lastly, the BigDB table interface has a link on the right side which says "For more information about setting up BigDB tables, please check out the documentation section. BigDB Setup »". It goes to http://playerio.com/documentation/bigdb/setup, which is a broken link.
cjcenizal
Paid Member

Postby Henrik » April 8th, 2011, 1:24 am

cjcenizal wrote:And perhaps in the BigDB table interface, there could be small notes beneath the Access Rights panel, describing what each one does?

There's a slightly more descriptive tooltip if you hover over a checkbox.

cjcenizal wrote:Lastly, the BigDB table interface has a link on the right side which says "For more information about setting up BigDB tables, please check out the documentation section. BigDB Setup »". It goes to http://playerio.com/documentation/bigdb/setup, which is a broken link.

Whoops, thanks for the catch. Will fix.

Funnily enough, that link should go to http://playerio.com/documentation/bigdb/tables, which contains a bit more of the information that you guys were after. I can see that it could be improved, though. :-)
Henrik
.IO

Postby cjcenizal » April 8th, 2011, 2:03 am

Ahh, the tooltips are good. Didn't notice those! Thanks, those help.
cjcenizal
Paid Member

Postby jasonMcIntosh » April 8th, 2011, 4:27 am

cjcenizal wrote:Ahh, the tooltips are good. Didn't notice those!

Which indicates that they probably shouldn't be tooltips, but should instead be made explicit. :) I found that section of the docs a bit lacking in clarity, too.
Jason McIntosh
Otherwhere Gameworks
jasonMcIntosh

Postby FulaFisken » April 12th, 2011, 11:00 am

I also find the access rights confusing. How can I achieve this setup?

- Read data for your player, no other player can read or modify your data.
- Only allow read access, no data can be created, modified or saved.

What makes me confused is that when you select "Full Creator Rights" the checkbokes on the right Create, Delete, Save have no function. It would be very useful if only I could retrieve my data but not alter it.
Fula Fisken
website blog twitter
Play Game
Astroflux
FulaFisken
Paid Member

Postby Oliver » April 15th, 2011, 12:44 pm

If you want the client to only have read access, just only check the Load checkboxes.
Oliver
.IO

Postby FulaFisken » April 18th, 2011, 11:22 am

Oliver wrote:If you want the client to only have read access, just only check the Load checkboxes.

Yes but I don't want everyone to have read access, just the creator. My point was that it would be nice to have "Creator rights" (instead of "Full Creator rights") and then you can use the checkboxes for save, delete if you want to add more rights.
Fula Fisken
website blog twitter
Play Game
Astroflux
FulaFisken
Paid Member

Postby Oliver » April 19th, 2011, 11:11 am

I don't understand: If the creator can only read.. how can anything be written for the creator to read?

- Oliver
Oliver
.IO

Postby FulaFisken » April 19th, 2011, 11:48 am

I forgot to mention that I wanted to have read only access for the creator on the flash client only. On the server there shouldn't be any limitations.
Fula Fisken
website blog twitter
Play Game
Astroflux
FulaFisken
Paid Member

Postby Oliver » April 19th, 2011, 12:55 pm

Okay. Objects created from severside code aren't "owned" by anybody. That is, they have null creator.

In other words, you can't create objects as-if you were one of the players from serverside code.

If you need total control, you can stream out the data you require via the multiplayer server, or have impossible to guess database object keys but let all clients have the "load by keys" right.

- Oliver
Oliver
.IO

Return to QuickConnect