Forum BigDB BigDB Usage Table Error(?)

Discussion and help relating to the PlayerIO database solution, BigDB.

BigDB Usage Table Error(?)

Postby UnknownGuardian » July 2nd, 2010, 12:46 am

The graph is showing "450MB" for my current database. But when I look at my database stats, I see
Currently using: 459 objects (0,19 MB)

So, is it accidentally graphing the number of objects, rather than the data usage? The values terminate with MB, so I assume that is MegaByte, but I am not even close to a megabyte in data.

Also, another question. I thought I saw a limit on the amount of data you could store? Is that just limited by indexes (whatever you agreed to for your package) or is it also limited by a "file" size amount?
UnknownGuardian

Re: BigDB Usage Table Error(?)

Postby fox1980 » July 2nd, 2010, 1:20 am

Same thing happens to me, in my dashboard the graph says it's measured in MB, but it's actually the number of objects. I believe parts of the bandwith consumption code were copied and they forgot to change MB to Objects.

As for the limits, the way i see it you are limited to a total of 25000 objects in the free package, but you can have an unlimited number of indexes, and an unlimited object size. Note however that loading or saving objects consumes web service traffic, so if you have lots of "big sized" objects you'll see the bandiwth usage go up pretty quickly. This is just my interpretation so it would be great if the devs could confirm it or correct me.
fox1980

Postby UnknownGuardian » July 2nd, 2010, 2:16 am

Well, nearing 1 megabyte in data, I had to dump my entire database (to the sadness of my users who lost their data) because nothing could be stored. I now am looking into ways to compress data...

I was getting errors, couldn't store anything more to the database. So is there a limit at 1 meg?
UnknownGuardian

Postby Henrik » July 2nd, 2010, 11:32 am

And here I was hoping no-one would notice. :D

Yes, the graph is objects, if you click a game and hover over a point, the tooltip should say objects at least. But yeah, the Y-axis unit should be changed as well. Sorry for the confusion.
Henrik
.IO

Postby Henrik » July 2nd, 2010, 11:34 am

UnknownGuardian wrote:I was getting errors, couldn't store anything more to the database. So is there a limit at 1 meg?

There is a limit of 500kB per DatabaseObject, but that's the only one.

What errors where you getting? And how are you storing your data?
Henrik
.IO

Postby UnknownGuardian » July 2nd, 2010, 6:44 pm

I was storing data with

Code: Select all
client.bigDB.createObject("PlayerObjects",key,{data:myText.text},textPostingCallback,textPostingError);

where key is the username + some random numbers.
and myText.text = just a string of text

Oddly enough, it broadcast the error to all users, as in they had the error box pop up with the error in it. I don't remember the exact error, but it may have been along the lines of "Could not post data to player.io" or something. So I had to dump the data, just to get it to work.
UnknownGuardian

Postby Oliver » July 5th, 2010, 10:52 am

"Could not post data to player.io" sounds more like networking issues or that perhaps your request reached a failing/restarting api request server before it was taken out of the cluster.

Is it still happening?
Oliver
.IO

Postby UnknownGuardian » July 5th, 2010, 5:54 pm

Well, I have to wait till a database reaches near the 1000 object or the 1 meg data mark to be sure, since I dumped the data. But I don't plan on having this error again, and have since separated my database for easy clean up of the temp data.
UnknownGuardian

Return to BigDB