Forum BigDB What is the max String size in BigDB?

Discussion and help relating to the PlayerIO database solution, BigDB.

What is the max String size in BigDB?

Postby unboundedgames » August 13th, 2020, 11:59 am

Hey, I have been tinkering with adding a replay system to my game so people can study positions, do branching, share things, etc. but so far I just have the 'offline' implementation that is totally clientside, and the replay is saved as a giant String of raw data which the client can parse through into a series of moves. I think the obvious final version of this would involve some serverside aspects that have a more multiplayer-centric behavior, such as displaying latest high rank games on title screen, or having some replays attached to people's account. :ugeek:

To do this, it would simplify things to just save that string into BigDB, but there are edge cases where a game could go on for 100+ turns, making the raw data string 1000+ characters long, and I can't find anywhere if there is some maximum string size in BigDB? I think I remember each object having 500kb allocated to it, which would be plenty, but wondering if stacking a chunk of that into a single string would be ok??
unboundedgames
Paid Member

Re: What is the max String size in BigDB?

Postby Henrik » September 7th, 2020, 10:33 pm

There's no restriction on individual values in a BigDB object, there's only the max object size restriction, which means you can have a single 500kb string.
Henrik
.IO

Re: What is the max String size in BigDB?

Postby unboundedgames » September 18th, 2020, 5:15 pm

Using 500kb, my approximation based on replay data format is the match would need to last somewhere in the range of 100000~200000 turns to exceed this limit. Most games are about 50 turns on average, and take about 15 minutes, so I think a replay that manages to break this would also be a 500+ hour game :D.

Seems like this can handle a pretty big replay by that measure, which is great to know, thanks!
unboundedgames
Paid Member

Return to BigDB