Forum BigDB Four database objects disappeared

Discussion and help relating to the PlayerIO database solution, BigDB.

Four database objects disappeared

Postby robscherer123 » April 7th, 2015, 2:59 pm

Very strange and potentially scary problem here! Although I was able to re-create the database objects with no problem, I've noticed that two objects have disappeared from one of my tables named "helmetStats". The objects keys were "shades" and "phantom hood". Nobody has entered my account, and I've even checked the changelog and nothing has shown up in there. The table is only accessible via "load by keys" and "load by indexes", so players could not have modified or hacked this table. No where in my code do I ever delete anything from this table, it's purely to store helmet stats to load in my game. They were removed sometime between 5pm UTC on April 7th and 2pm UTC on April 8th.

Like I've said, I've recreated the database objects pretty easily, but I thought this is something I should point out in case there's something happening inside PlayerIO that needs fixed or looked into.

*edit*
Just found out another object was removed as well with the key "royal helmet" under the same table.
Last edited by robscherer123 on April 7th, 2015, 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robscherer123
Paid Member

Re: Two database objects disappeared

Postby robscherer123 » April 7th, 2015, 9:39 pm

Going to bump this. I've just noticed another object with the key "mystical tribal legs" was removed from another table called "legStats". Does anyone have a contact email for someone at Yahoo GamesNet? This could potentially be pretty bad.
robscherer123
Paid Member

Re: Four database objects disappeared

Postby obelisk » April 9th, 2015, 8:34 pm

We're going to chime in here as well as this is certainly concerning.

We have had this occur on 3 full account objects as well for players returning to the game since last summer. We don't store account data in the 'PlayerObject' table, but an 'accounts' table, and can verify the same thing.

Unfortunately we don't have the details as to when the object was deleted, as we only just discovered it when players attempted to log into nothing, and definitely previously had played in the past.

The table is only accessible via "load by keys" and "load by indexes"

Nothing on the client can access any useful tables on our side either - everything is handled server-side in our case; not to mention if one were able to hack into tables like these I imagine the damage would be far more than inactive accounts or just a few item objects.

@ Rob - Do you mind keeping this topic updated if it continues and we'll do the same?

Cheers
obelisk
Paid Member

Postby robscherer123 » April 9th, 2015, 8:57 pm

obelisk, I was able to get in contact with someone from Yahoo Gamesnet. They said that they recently did a server upgrade for the storage and it may have caused a few objects to go missing. He said that everything should be stabilized now and it should not happen again. This was the only time I'd ever had the problem, so I'm guessing we should be ok now. He also mentioned they make daily backups, which I'm sure will help ease your mind.
robscherer123
Paid Member

Postby obelisk » April 9th, 2015, 9:51 pm

Good to know! Thanks.
obelisk
Paid Member

Return to BigDB